Thursday, November 07, 2013

a dean and deluca, however, would be most welcome...

I just walked down to 2-day-old Mission Local Market because it is new and chic and sells overpriced food 2 blocks from my house. I am devastated to report that Mission Local Market is tiny and has 4 things for sale. A third of the shelves are empty and there aren't that many shelves to begin with. They have 3 flavors of Humphry Slocumbe ice cream for $8, and one kind of fresh baked cookie for $2. Not that I was only in the dessert department, but I have my priorities. One can buy the most beautiful raisins I've ever seen out of a bin, which is also how one procures brown sugar. Cheese costs $1,000 and there were 5 loaves of bread for sale. Interestingly, there was 382 kinds of local jam and a bevy of t-shirts and tote bags. And teeny, tiny blackberries that looked like they came from someone's yard, which is probably good in an organic kind of way but bad in a normal people kind of way. I want my berries unnaturally huge and in a pile of a million baskets.

Mission Local Market only sells food from 70 miles away or closer, so you can't go get some nail polish remover and a box of designer Whoppers, which, and I think I also speak for my roommate here, is what this neighborhood wants and needs. Also, there is no prepared foods section to speak of. For example, I was hoping to pick up some ridiculously expensive chicken salad for lunch. One can buy fresh, gorgeous chicken, certainly. And perhaps some fresh grapes to throw in there, not to mention fresh eggs and infused olive oil with which to make mayonnaise. But according to Local Mission Market, that's how one makes chicken salad. It doesn't come on a charming plastic container for $10. And therefore, I am not interested.

Basically I found Mission Local Market the neighborhood store version of Gwyneth Paltrow's GOOP newsletter; it only served to make me feel poor and bad about myself. Casa Guadalupe at 22nd and Folsom has nothing to worry about...

1 comment:

Cathy W. said...

felt exactly the same way. Went in with money to spend and walked out empty-handed.