Monday, August 13, 2012

and the dad said, 'well (pause) probably...'

A tourist father and his 12-year old son were sitting near me on the back of the bus last weekend. The kid was obviously very nerdy and obnoxious, much like I was at his age, and still am. None the less, he was driving me nuts with his constant need to read every single sign we passed.
"HOW MANY MORE STOPS? ARE WE GOING TO THE END OF THE LINE? WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIS STOP?"
He was like the neighbor kid in Home Alone who screws up the count when they're going to the airport, thus resulting in Kevin's being left... Home Alone.
Anyway, I was sitting there futzing with my phone regretting all of the obnoxious things I've ever done, when the kid reads a sign. "SAN FRANCISCO PUBLIC LIBRARY."
"That's right." Says his dad.
"WHAT'S IN THERE, DAD?"
Even the dad had a bit of a tone. "What do you think is in there?"
And without missing a beat, the kid goes, "AN ELEVATOR."
My head whipped from side to side, trying to find one other person with who I could share the, "an elevator?" look.
No one met my look. It was probably my punishment for being 68264 times more obnoxious than this kid, but at least I would've said books...

2 comments:

Michael Strickland said...

But it does have an elevator, more than one in fact, and they are all full of stinky people, even stinker than on Muni.

Anonymous said...

Smart kid. Books ARE elevators. tp