Tuesday, April 10, 2012

traveling the world with aunt flo...

Among the many fascinating photos from my folks' trip, this is one of my favorites.

I have so many questions.

1. My mother asked, "How can they tell?" But can't bears tell? If they're really that worried about it, could they maybe get a trained bear, not to, you know, attack, but to respectfully and privately indicate which visitors are riding the crimson tide.

2. Why? What does this obviously natural physical thing have to do with religion. If they don't want chicks inside, that would be nothing new to me. Hey, I get it. There's no sanctity about a bunch of broads complaining and gossipping and being bad drivers. But what about JUST menstruating takes away from the sanctity? I don't get it.

3. Do some women walk up to this temple, see the sign, and put their hands up. "Sorry, fellas. You all go ahead. I will stand here under the big Period Honor Code sign. Stare all you want, pal. So what! I'm on my period. BFD."

I am self-conscious when buying 'feminine products' at Safeway. I cannot imagine that had I come upon this sacred place whilst on the rag, I would have followed this rule, mainly because it is a really awkward way to announce to a bunch of strangers my 'status.' I think it's important to be as respectful as possible of all religions, but I would have lied under those circumstances.
Right up until I heard the growl...

2 comments:

Jacque said...

Ok. This is a very common problem western women face when traveling. The solution, I have been told from several sources, is to wear a tampon because the menses does not actually leave the body. The reason this sign is up is because Indian, apparently, dont use a tampon. Problem Solved.

MattyMatt said...

Christians have the same rule, though I don't think many of them follow it. Leviticus 15:19 says that during a woman's "issue," she basically can't touch anything. And then once it's all over, she has to kill two pigeons. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+15%3A19-30&version=NIV