Tuesday, March 06, 2012

okay, threes-ish...

Once again, I am calling on my IMMENSE 5 DAYS OF TRAINING to bring you the rule of threes:

1. Yesterday's Tourist Trapped is up. It's my 5 favorite spots in Chinatown and all of them involve food or Diet Coke (that means 'bar' to most people.) Please head to SFGate and read it!

2. Necessary Conversation has lost our studio space (hence the hiatus) and we're trying to figure out what we want to do with the show next. Mel and I had brunch on Sunday to discuss this, but we ended up talking about dudes instead. Anyway I feel like we owe the wonderful folks at the Huffington Post some content, and they're launching a new project. They're asking folks to submit videos of special moments in their lives. HuffPostSF wants to know when you knew you loved San Francisco. Or something like that. Here's my version of that, shot from my new laptop like it's a snuff film. If you submit a video, lemme know and I'll post it!

3. Ages ago, I begged you all to attend a fundraiser for victims of the Castro arson fires. My oldest and dearest friend/cousin Kate Ryken had a friend who lost his home because of this horrible arsonist, so we spent a week hustling and threw a party at a gay bar. We raised $6,000, which basically meant that 10 arson victims got $600. I told them all they should use it for a gluttonous weekend getaway, which they deserve since their houses burned down. Lo these months later, Supervisor Scott Wiener has chosen Kate and me as two of his (several) women to honor for Women's History Month. So we're going down to City Hall this afternoon and I think corsages are involved. I also think every single Supervisor has to pick a bunch of broads to give shout-outs to, so this could take all day. I feel a little guilty because there are a lot of ladies who do nice things in town all the time. As opposed to, you know, once. Also, loads of people helped with this event, especially Brock Keeling, Brian Leubitz, Scott Wiener, Rebecca Prozan, Bill Hemenger and Kate's sister Jenny Ryken. But I like taking credit for shit, so I'll be there! It might be on SFGovTV, so tune in to laugh at us. It's today around 3 or 3:30.

PS: Since I'm plugging my dumb stuff, I'm hosting a 5-part series for my former employer, Beach Blanket Babylon. In a couple of weeks, a web series about 5 Amazing moments in Beach Blanket History will appear on the world wide web. I'm co-hosting with my wonderful former boss, BBB stage-manager (33 years and counting), John Camajani. It's produced by my former co-worker and current good friend Tom Schween, who's been doing a wonderful series of Beach Blanket called 'Beach Nuts.' I hope the big wigs (heh) approve what we've come up with, and I'm so excited to be working with my friends at The Blanket again. Of all of the first jobs to have, I lucked out. I'm really excited to see what Tom has put together, especially because his 'Beach Nuts' series is WONDERFUL. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

AMDG said...

Whither your post from Sunday? Did it really provoke that much consternation?

Beth Spotswood said...

Oh, the post asking if I should write a post about my high school reunion? My friend (and fellow Ignatian) Lisa said "yes indeed" so I'll do a whole story on it. But I figured a post about whether to write a post was dumb, so I started editing it into my reunion recap. It'll be up asap!

AMDG right back at you.