Wednesday, February 01, 2012

i asked my mom to send me photos of me in sf...

People often ask me if I am ever offended by comments on my blog posts and usually my answer is no. There is something far worse than a nasty comment, and that is NO comment.
But there is one comment that always gets under my skin.
"Beth is probably a 23-year old transplant from Michigan." -510native4life
While yes, I am 23 years old, I was born in San Francisco. It doesn't bother me when I'm called dumb, or a shitty writer, or even the painful "pretenshus." But saying that I am obviously not from San Francisco and therefore not allowed to express an opinion about something in San Francisco is basically a challenge to a duel in my book.
Why is that? How San Franciscan does one need to be before they can fucking relax in this town and enjoy it? What makes a real native?
So instead of challenging an anonymous commenter to a duel, I called up some San Franciscans and asked them. You know, like the Mayor.
Also chiming in are talented sons of famous San Franciscans, Jon Moscone and Christopher Caen, my cousins Kate and Ryan, Supervisor David Campos, Commissioner Anna Conda, the hilarious Eve Batey, die-hard San Franciscan Kate Horton (who was born in Hawaii?!?) and of course Brock ...who managed to use the word "suck."
Will they kill me in the comments today? God, I hope so. As long as they call me a fucking native.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post! I think you've encapsulated the mission of this blog and our challenge.