Tuesday, December 20, 2011

my favorite christmas music...

First of all, I forgot to post yesterday's Tourist Trapped, which features the City Hall Holiday Open House and was described to me as "bitchy."
So enjoy.
Unrelated, I heard this song on the radio yesterday and it's been stuck in my head ever since. I'm walking around work singing, "Mary, Did you Know" by Kenny Rogers and Wynonna Judd. People are getting mad at me. This is not the Kenny/Wynonna version (It's Reba!), but I like this video.



There are all kinds of fan-videos created with this song and they're all made from clips from something called "The Jesus Film." Anyway, I keep listening to this song, which goes on and on asking Mary if she knew her baby would be "ruler of the nation", etc. And I just want to scream at Kenny Rogers, "Yes! She knew. Hello? She was a pregnant virgin. The angel Gabriel appeared and explained all of this to her. Has Wynonna never seen "A Charlie Brown Christmas"?
While the Spotswood Family never listened to country-western holiday music, every year we listen to the Roger Whittaker Christmas Album. And every Christmas, I perform this for my entire family. I know every single word, and my mom chimes in for "Oh, lament." I am very, very excited to do this on Christmas Eve. Please come over.



Following my opening act, my brother takes a seat by the fire, gazes out the window and does this. It's fucking amazing:



We have been listening to this album for 30 years. And only recently, have I realized how bizarre this is. Please tell me your family has weird holiday traditions too, preferably involving Wynonna Judd...

6 comments:

Seana said...

Our bizarre family traditions involve Kingston Trio (Last Month of the Year) and John Denver and the Muppets (A Christmas Special).

sfmike said...

Oh, dear. The Mary for The Jesus Film is that cute mixed-race girl from that New Zealand flick "The Whale Rider." Reba McIntyre and Kenny Rogers on top of that cultural confusion is profoundly disturbing.

Beth Spotswood said...

@ Seana: Melissa is very into the Muppets Christmas, which I never really got. but God bless. Speaking of which...


@Mike: You're right! It is. I want to try and watch The Jesus Movie but I just can't muster the right mood.

Anonymous said...

The movie is called "The Nativity" and it is actually not a bad movie. It doesn't preach but is rather straightforward in telling the tale. I enjoyed it surprisingly.
The actress' name is Keisha Castle-Hughes. She was the Queen of naboo in the Star Wars III movie for all the sci-fi geeks out there. She was also in a movie where she plays a bitchy mean girl in a London public school. That movie is called "Hey Hey It's Esther Blueburger".

Seana said...

Also- I am dumbfounded by the photo on the cover of the Roger Whittaker Album. I don't know how I got through so many years of my childhood with a COMPLETELY different picture of him in my head (we listened to a lot of Roger Whittaker, but surprisingly, not the Christmas album). Why would I think he had big, bushy, curly hair?

KG said...

Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers: Once Upon A Christmas. Luckily you can get this at any truck stop in America if you happen to forget your copy for the drive to Grandmas. Everyone *must* sing along to I Believe in Santa Claus or walk to Live Oak.