Thursday, September 29, 2011

the civil war and pineapple...

I think my wonderful co-worker Bill sensed that I was really down today, thinking about my friend Andre. So he distracted me by asking, all of a sudden and out of the blue, "If you could be in any war in history, which one would you choose?"
I love these kind of questions!
At first, I said, "The Gulf War of the early '90s."
My reasoning was that it was a short war, very few people died and they had anesthesia. I would forgo the great wars of history for a pain-free experience. I think it would have been amazing to be at Gettysburg, but I have seen that documentary. I am a selfish and wimpy person. I'd rather be comfy and experience another Christmas. If I have to be in a war, I want something brief. Like Grenada.
But Bill was displeased. "Let's say that you survive, unharmed."
"Am I soldier, like in the infantry? Or can I be the Queen of England in this scenario?"
"You're in the infantry. You cannot be Churchill."
"But I walk out of it, without a scratch?"
"Physically, yes. But you can still factor in sights and smells, which would stay with you forever."
I chose the Civil War (on the side of the Union), with the Revolutionary War as my runner up. They both completely shaped America. If either had gone the other way, we would not be sitting where we are sitting right now. And I was raised with a particular reverence for US History.
"Yeah. The Civil War is good. Yet gross." Said Bill. "I think it would have been pretty amazing to liberate Europe."
Oooooh, that's good. We both agreed we'd take a solid pass on Vietnam. And I think we all can agree that I've really lucked out in the co-worker questions department. Years before Bill, I worked with Ben who decided to ask one afternoon, "If you could only have one fruit for the rest of your life, what would that fruit be..."

2 comments:

Bill sounds like a great co-worker said...

Apropos of nothing, other than to cheer you up maybe, perhaps you might enjoy this gem. An interest and a phobia all wrapped up in one!

Beth Spotswood said...

Oooooohhhhhh. WEIRD.
(thanks!)