Tuesday, May 10, 2011

happy birthday biscuit...

Today is my brother’s 28th birthday! And if you’ve been reading this blog for any length of time, you probably already know a lot of shit about Alex. But do you know the following?

1. Alex makes his own flavored croutons.
2. When he was little and everyone sang ‘Happy Birthday,’ Alex would cry, try and hide and say, “Don’t SEE me!”
3. He calls me “Sis” which I think is very old-fashioned and cute.
4. When Alex went to camp, his counselor named his morning walk to the bathroom, “The A.M. Shuffle.”
5. I was once sitting at my desk feeling gross because I ate too many nuts, so I texted my brother, “I need a hug” and a half an hour later, a grinning Alex came bounding up the stairs to my office, arms outstretched. He hugged me, then he left.
6. When Alex thinks he’s alone, he sings “Livin’ In the City” by Stevie Wonder.
7. Alex buys candy at the movies, but he will not eat a bite until the actual movie starts. Previews don’t count.
8. Alex and I were apparently friendless for long stretches of time because we would spend weekends making home movies, including an epic masterpiece in which Alex played identical twins, one of whom was a criminal, the other was a cop.
9. Alex is my parents’ favorite which is okay with me because he’s my favorite too. (My parents, by the way, will readily admit this.)
10. For five years, Alex only wore jeans and green t-shirts.
11. Alex is a horrible driver.
12. In Alex’s college ID photo, he’s smiling but he’s crying because he had just found out that our grandfather died right before he had to pose. And whenever I would visit him in college, I would look at his ID because it made me feel better that he was as heartbroken as me.
13. Anytime a magicians asks for a volunteer from the audience, Alex gets picked.
14. Alex is horrible at boardgames. He will deny this.
15. We’ve been stuck together on Spotswood Family World Travels our whole lives. Often bored and wide awake, at 3am, we’d end up doing dumb shit. For example, on a cruise through the fiords of Northern Europe, Alex and I played midnight hide-and-seek in our tiny cruise cabin and I hid by covering myself in Kleenex and holding a Kleenex box in the middle of the room. Alex pretended to look for me for 20 minutes. He was 12. I was 17. This is the 462,945th reason Alexander Peterson Anthony Spotswood is the best person I’ve ever met in my life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

5. I was once sitting at my desk feeling gross because I ate too many nuts, so I texted my brother, “I need a hug” and a half an hour later, a grinning Alex came bounding up the stairs to my office, arms outstretched. He hugged me, then he left.

That is awesome.

Also, what are the odds some uppity reader will take issue with that picture? I hope the Spotswood Legal Team is on it.

Alex said...

1. Yeah, so?
2. One time!
3. Are you not my sis?
4. Im a night owl.
5. I am really great.
6. I like it.
7. Dont really buy the candy anymore
8. Forever lost on Hi8 mini taps
9. True story.
10. I had a look.
11. Im a not great driver but and excellent parker!
12. I miss Da.
13. I have a charm.
14. Bullshit.
15. Im 12 here. This is your weird fact.

alex said...

Alex is not the favorite! Toby is (was). Otherwise its a tie. Guess Who in Manhattan