Saturday, April 23, 2011

three-legged race? mud wrestling?

I used to have grown-up dinner parties all the time. But then the whole cooking and entertaining part got in the way of my wine-drinking part, and I cut out the middle man for a while. But I'm back! And had some friends over last night, including my friend Max, or as he's now known, The Serious Chef (TM.)
Max was adamant that he wanted to cook, which was fine with me. As Melissa proclaimed, there is nothing hotter than a straight man cooking. Except when that man and his short fuse decide to cook two kinds of risotto in a crowded kitchen. At one point, I looked over and Max was using all four burners, feverishly working them like Beetohoven at a piano.
In one pan, he was frying sage leaves.
Melissa and Alice were rapt, but in his way. "You guys need to move. Seriously. Bethy, do you have a bigger ladle? Alice, take the tails off these shrimp."
Alice couldn't take the tails off the shrimp because she was too busy being dumbfounded by how to remove the sage leaves from their stems. I could not take the tails off the shrimp because...gross. And Brock was too busy making his gourgeres.
Normally, I'm the one freaking out in the kitchen. But since I had The Serious Chef demanding a finer mince in his shallots, it was much easier to relax. Wisely, my friend Alex merely planned ahead and, in another demonstration of the culinary skills of straight men, brought this lovely frozen fruit dish he made ahead, popped in the freezer and was done with it.
I think the grown-up dinner party was a hit. And we came up with a "great" idea. Most of the folks who came over last night are nerdily active members of the San Francisco Young Democrats. We decided that they should have some co-event with the San Francisco Young Republicans, and Melissa and I added the caveat that Necessary Conversation should get to MC. Ideas for this co-event include softball, karaoke or my suggestion, a dance off!
The consensus on the softball game, by the way, was that it wouldn't work because 1) "Five people would come to that." -Brock and 2) the Democrats would let everyone who wanted to play be on their team while the Republicans would bring in ringers.
Who cares! What better way to bridge partisan gaps than with America's favorite pastime?
Alternately, everyone could just come over to my house and watch Max have a coronary over my diminutive ladles.
I look forward to your suggestions in the comments...

1 comment:

Guy Fieri's hair is an affont to fine cooks everywhere said...

We decided that they should have some co-event with the San Francisco Young Republicans, and Melissa and I added the caveat that Necessary Conversation should get to MC. Ideas for this co-event include softball, karaoke or my suggestion, a dance off!

Um, in keeping with the theme of the post, shouldn't it be an Iron Chef-style culinary competition in which earnest and well intentioned Young Democrats battle fear mongering and racially insensitive Young Republicans?