Monday, December 20, 2010

i hope santa knows where to find me...

It's been two years since I've been blogging from a big Spotswood Family adventure abroad. But as we seem to be in a window where my parents are retired yet spry and my brother and I refuse to procreate, the four of us are once again piling onto a 747 and getting the hell out of America until 2011.
Where, oh where are we going this year?
Of all the places to travel for the holidays, we had several family discussions about where to go. Up for consideration was my mother's choice, Vietnam. But it's apparently really goddamn expensive to go to Vietnam right now, and my father has this thing about travel deals. He should have his own e-newsletter, his finger is so on the pulse of where one can fly cheap with the right collection of coupons, frequent flier miles and winning yogurt lids.
"We waited too long!" He screamed at us in June.
My father, by the way, wanted to go to Israel. Makes sense for Christmas, sure. And needless to say, my dad found several amazing deals. I think actually, they pay you to wander around Tel Aviv these days. But I'm paranoid. And as everyone else in my family is too politically correct to say so, they just waited for me to pout, "Forget it! We're not going to the Middle East."
My brother Alex was pushing for South America. But in an annoying twist, everyone except me was "just" there. This past Spring, my brother went to Manchu Pichu with his girlfriend. Because apparently he's become the kind of person that goes to Manchu Pichu with his girlfriend. He wore t-shirts and didn't shave the whole time. I don't even know how we're related.
So where are we ending up? Of all the places in the world, where we can get cheap flights and hotels, where my parents exchanged stoic looks when revealing we'd be flying 14 hours in coach, where holiday cheer and rosy Christmas cheeks abound?

Poland.


We'll be in Poland for Christmas. And then we're going to Hungary. Finally, we'll ring in the New Year in Austria. Included in this adventure, in addition to the quips of a 32-year old woman traveling with her parents, will be an overnight train from Krakow to Budapest ("I hope there's a mystery!"- Alex Spotswood), Hungarian public baths and, as Brock brilliantly pointed out above, a visit to Auschwitz.
We depart in 48 hours.
Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia!

4 comments:

Seana said...

My mother just returned from a trip to all these places, and she loved it. In a somber, dark, appreciative way. Should be cold, but people still wear fur there, so it will be fabulous! Happy Christmas and Merry New Year.

sfmike said...

I almost envy you because I've always wanted to go to Budapest, but Poland, Hungary and Austria during one of Europe's worst winters that have been stranding passengers all over the world? Wow, and good luck. By the way, I don't think it's "Manchu Pichu," but I won't be able to call it anything else from now on.

Beth Spotswood said...

What is it? Machu? No 'n'? I wouldn't know. I'VE NEVER BEEN.
Also, regarding European Snow '10 (never forget), Joanne has decided "we'll just go with the flow." I have a feeling that means sleeping on a changing table in the "family" toilet at the Munich airport.

Be_Devine said...

I never thought I would ever hear Ms. Spotswood say "14 hour flight" and "coach" in the same sentence unless Coach was capitalized and referring to leather products. Quelle horreur!

Enjoy the trip, m'dear. And A Merry Aushcwitz Christmas to the whole Spotswood family!