Thursday, September 02, 2010

mr. and mrs. safety green...

With my relatively new job as a full time blogger I HAVE NO TIME TO BLOG. Although I saw so many weird things today, I kept thinking I should really get back on this.
I park my car around the block from work is this big garage where one needs to wait for one's car to be delivered. Inevitably, there's a huge crowd itching for their Camrys at 5:30. I generally bide my time pretending to text while admiring everyone's outfits and wishing I had better work clothes. But today, as I stood typing nonsense into my Blackberry, these two officious folks, a man and a woman, in emergency vests and gigantic, utilitarian straw hats marched into the garage.
"HAVE YOU GIVEN YOUR TICKET YET?"
"No." I sheepishly answered.
"None of us have." A supermodel piped up.
They both plopped down in the parking attendants' chairs, taking a very obvious load off. But then, just as I was really mentally laying into their aesthetic, the gentleman (who had an Amish beard) offered me his seat.
"Oh, no thanks." I said. "I've been sitting all day."
His female companion, awkwardly removing her safety vest, announced, "NOT US."
Oddly, it's only since this new job that I've felt entitled to take such obvious conversation bait. Turns out, these two were "measuring" the scene of an accident.
The moment they suddenly became the most interesting people in the world, Mr. and Mrs. Safety Green wanted nothing to do with me. And I don't blame them. I would've asked every gory detail I could think of, and off the top of my head, I've got like, seven questions.
In other news, I completely failed to post both of this week's SF Gate Culture Blogs. My mother, whose years of working all corporate/FiDi-style are now of tremendous use to me, pointed out as kindly as she could that no one can find me on the Gate's front page if I don't link. While sad, this is a very good point. An internet tip from Joanne! What's the world coming to!
Here is Tourist Trapped, in which I go to a cheezy hotel by myself for FIVE FUCKING MINUTES OF SILENCE.
And here is Wednesday's offering, wherein Squid Pro Quo and I hit Edinburgh Castle' Pub Quiz.
As for the background, Brian Devine was having none of the book shelves. As his approval drives much of my work, I switched to something more simple. What do YOU think? I find it kinda cozy!
Thanks so much to all of you who sent in positive feedback about Necessary Conversation. Another one should be up tomorrow and we've got a long day of filming on Sunday. Which reminds me, I need some slightly whore-ish 70's outfits.
Finally, Weekend What's Up, because we're killing like, eight birds here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Brian (always on the side of justice!) Devine. The books were nice and all, but this verdant shit is soothing.

Be_Devine said...

I LOVE the new background!! It looks you're looking out the window on a cold, windy, rainy day while snuggled on a couch in front of the fire with a blanket, a book, and a hot cup of tea.

Anonymous said...

I keep blinking to clear my eyes. It's been a lovely diversion, though, finding faces in the greenery--Stan Laurel, Ted Kaczynskis, Abe Lincoln, The Tin Man.....
tp

JFBF said...

I want to love the background, but the fuzziness gives me a headache. I keep looking at it and squinting, kind of like tp above. Oh well - I love the CONCEPT!