Wednesday, September 29, 2010

gettin' hot with my silly bandz...

My co-worker Carlos has three daughters, ages 9-17, which is fabulous because I love tween shit. I love it! So I was asking him what kind of pop culture stuff his 4th Grader is into and Carlos revealed, "It's all about Silly Bandz."
Have you heard of these? Silly Bandz are shaped plastic bracelets that one can wear by the dozens. Hundreds, even. Silly Bandz are such a big deal at Carlos' kid's elementary school that they have been banned. Kids were wearing Silly Bandz up to their elbows and then, of course, some kids had not a one. Not on Silly Band! As a result, Silly Bandz are verboten and I can barely sit still, I'm so desperate to run out at get the Justin Bieber collection and the Save the Gulf collection.
Back in my day, the Silly Bandz equivalents were friendship bracelets, made from crochet yarn and having as many keychains attached to one's Eddie Bauer backpack as possible. We wore plaid uniforms at my elementary school, and abused any permitted self-expression until it too was outlawed. I can only imagine the frenzy Silly Bandz would have caused at St. Patrick's.
I need to know, what was your Silly Bandz? And what else am I missing out on? I mean, I need to get on the Silly Bandz bandwagon while it's still hot. I wanna be first in line for whatever comes next...

6 comments:

Eve said...

This is disgusting, but the big craze for my 6th grade class was eraser burns -- in which one takes the eraser from one's pencil and rubs ones skin to make a welt, in the shape of a loved one's initials.

Seana said...

In my day we had ceramic pins of all shapes and sizes (a la Mork from Ork's suspenders pins). Yes, I am that old. We wore suspenders too, mostly rainbow. Ick.

BTW-Walgreens carries TUBS of sillybandz.

sfmike said...

St. Christopher medallion necklaces with different bright, shiny color schemes in the center. It seemed to have nothing to do with Catholicism and everything to do with coolness in my Southern California beach town in the 1960s. The fad only lasted a couple of years, if I remember correctly.

Clair said...

My 6th grade class did the same thing as Eve's. It was horrible. On a less sadistic note, friendship bracelets were big, and in elementary school it was all about the Garbage Pail Kids.

Blair said...

http://thegloss.com/fashion/jewish-silly-bandz-knockoffs-come-in-a-dollar-sign-shape/

Anonymous said...

Apparently friendship bracelets are timeless, because I have a house full of them. My 6y.o. makes them at after school care and summer camp at least once a week. I wear my friendship rings around to make her happy, but man, I'm glad she's always cranking out new ones - those things can get funky.