Monday, April 05, 2010

you know. like health care...

Speaking of building this city on rock and roll, my very awesome friend Art sent me these photos of San Francisco's Embarcadero before the 1989 Earthquake.I pointed out that while I knew a freeway blocked what is now a glorious, high-end, tasteful boulevard of dreams, I couldn't really remember what it looked like. What a fucking dump!
So ruined by the earthquake, the freeway had to be torn down to great controversy. Seriously. People were PISSED. I mean, really. How could you tear down this beautiful, convenient, totally necessary freeway?
I take this as an example of a very good lesson. I am learning that sometimes, very well intentioned people who have lots of facts and seem very confident and knowledgable are, how do you say, fucking wrong. And you should just do it anyway...

6 comments:

Be_Devine said...

Beautifully said with words and pictures. You've got a knack for politics after all.

Holly said...

you should see what the Army Corps' plan for the entire Bay Area was in the 60's. Massive, multi-lane freeways as far as the eye could see. But that's what the people wanted!

Nicole said...

Thanks for posting those great picts! If anyone's interested, there's this great photo set on Flickr of old freeway maps of SF from the 50's.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/sets/72157622139053795/

sfmike said...

The Loma Prieta quake was great for San Francisco in some ways. Two really ugly double-decker freeways demolished with one shake, freeing the Embarcadero and the Hayes Valley from "fucking dumpdom."

Natalie said...

The same people who fought for the Embarcadero fought for the Central Freeway through Hayes Valley. Now look at the place. Of course I can't afford anything there, but we got a park. Yay!

James said...

I used to go to North Beach via the EF from Oakland many nights a week ... I loved it. Then I moved away to Seattle. When I came back to The City for a visit after Loma Prieta, some friends took me down to the Embarcadero for some shopping. I couldn't believe how beautiful the whole area was with the EF gone. We have the same EF-type monstrosity in Seattle called the Alaska Way Viaduct that was damaged after our earthquake. City fathers wouldn't even consider undertaking the farsightedness that The City did. Thanks for your article. Jim Patrick