Wednesday, December 16, 2009

does this have fish in it...

This afternoon at 1pm, please say a little prayer for me. I'll be one of the judges at the San Francisco Board of Supervisors Holiday Back Off (to quote Michael K, that's a typo but I'm leaving it.)
Anyway, I'm slightly concerned/excited that this gourmet event will be much like my high school's cultural dinner in which all of the political correct student organizations make us eat their grandma's food from the old country so we can celebrate our diversity.
This is the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, after all. These are the folks who offer their official thoughts on foreign policy so the planet's got it straight that San Francisco isn't down with war/homophobia/racism/killing of innocents/etc.
I have a feeling some of these folks will try to reiterate their loving, open-minded political beliefs in their baked goods and as much as I want Patches the Wino to get that condo, I don't need to taste the edible interpretation.That being said, I know some of these folks take the Bake Off incredibly seriously.
Melissa was a previous judge of this popular event and said it was fabulous! Since she'll be joining me today, we've agreed not to eat a thing all day until we get there.
I hope coffee and gum don't count, because I can't really complete a sentence until a solid pot of Peet's is coursing through my system.
I can't believe they've asked me to do this, and am most excited about getting to snoop around City Hall while getting a free pass to eat baked goods.
In other news, the SF Appeal Holiday Party is tonight. You're all invited, there's free beer and Katie is DJing! If you're worried about attending for the reasons articulated here, I can tell you that hanging out with the blogging types for the first time is much like I imagine walking into your first Star Trek Convention. You can't believe you're doing something so internationally regarded as lame and worry that none of the Klingons will talk to you. But then someone compliments you on the accuracy of your Ensign's uniform and suddenly, you're appearing on SF Views and bitching about mean commenters.
You all should come!

2 comments:

Greg said...

"You can't believe you're doing something so internationally regarded as lame and worry that none of the Klingons will talk to you. But then someone compliments you on the accuracy of your Ensign's uniform and suddenly, you're appearing on SF Views and bitching about mean commenters."

HA! good one.

Captain Picard said...

Your familiarity with Star Trek is intriguing. I never would have guessed that charcuterie, vintage Burberry trench coats and Klingons paired well together.