Wednesday, October 07, 2009

you know you want that t-shirt UPDATED...

Today's Culture Blog is up, with further adventures and observations from Alaska. AND, here's See Spot Write on the SF Appeal. Did you know you could help Gavin pick his logo?
Please for to enjoy...

*DISCLAIMER* I just read this comment, which I'd anticipated and feared getting when writing today's Culture Blog, as evidenced by my writing, "Please forgive my sweeping generalizations, but here's what I noticed." None the less:

"I'm glad to hear that the vacation was fabulous...a very gay word, thank you very much. My impression of your observations is that you have not spent very much time around lesbians. You sound almost anthropologist-like. Describing how they act, what they wear, how they fit into very particular gender roles. I would expect a little more sophistication and familiarity with the huge subculture of LGBT life in the SF Bay Area from you."

I like how their first sentence just negated their whole point. However, let me just say that had been on a gay-man cruise, an old people cruise, an Asian cruise, a family cruise, really any type of specific cruise at all, my observations would be equally "anthropologist-like." And no one would have accused me of ignorance and a lack of sophistication. I think it's the nature of the best, being an outsider in any capacity. But it was a lesbian cruise. So, you know, see above...

14 comments:

Be_Devine said...

Being a 6'4" guy who ended up on a little people cruise to Alaska, I completely understand.

And if your observations are "anthropologist-like," I wish I had studied anthropology. Cuz, ya know, I like a good wit.

Greg said...

what's this, an SFGate commenter with their head up their ass? Perish the thought!

Spots said...

Greg, I wanted to adress it because it was something I was sensitive to when writing the post. Otherwise, I don't really touch the comments. They bite...

Kim Nunley said...

The article was hilarious...

sfmike said...

It was a wonderful article and your generalizations were all spot-on. My favorite part was your fantasy of living in one of the stair homes with your hunter boyfriend bringing you fresh game while you pretended you were Jon Corbett at the radio station.

DJTennessee said...

I, for one, am ordering my copy of Spotswood's travel memoir Dyke Like Me the moment it is available on Amazon.

@ Be_Devine

a little people cruise?

Spots said...

Thanks guys!
And DJ, that's no joke. The Brians found themselves in a cruise with like, 100 little people. AS IN DWARVES...

Anonymous said...

"Nature of the best..." Hahahahaha

Anonymous said...

For someone who blogs under the persona of "snarky trust fund socialite", you seem very sensitive to what haters say... So what if you're fat, homophobic, insensitive, whatever. Let that shiznit slide and drive on!

Spots said...

I don't have a trust fund, I'm more heterophobic than anything, really and yes, I'm highly sensitive.

I'm also considering purchasing retail space in the Seattle area. Any idea whom I should contact?

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, this person is obsessed with you. That's so creepy it's almost flattering.

Why read and keep coming back time and time again? Think of all the things on the internet. This person has picked you!

I think you're hilarious and gorgeous and poor, by the way.

Anonymous said...

"I'm also considering purchasing retail space in the Seattle area. "

Oh my. Was someone tracing IPs? If so, rock on with your bad self, girl.

Greg said...

@Beth: good point. But I just hate it when any Gate commenters bash on you, because people who do that suck...

paul a'barge said...

Ruh roh. Gays think they own the word fabulous now?

Who knew?