Friday, October 02, 2009

you had me at valet...

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Brock and I will go anywhere with free drinks and free sliders. We will also go anywhere for Mark Leno. Last night, all of those glorious factors were combined with free valet parking and a gay club.
I almost died.
State Senator and Saint Mark Leno was having a fabulous party, the reasons for which I still can’t put my finger on. But he’s gay. The man doesn’t need a reason. The Who’s Who of the Homo Community was there is full force and here’s what I can report:
Supervisor Sophie Maxwell introduced Assessor Phil Ting as the Treasurer. Somewhere, Jose Cisneros is gasping, “Oh hell no!”
Supervisors Bevan Dufty, Ross Mirkarimi and David Campos were also there, although I spoke with none of them. Ross kind of scares me, Bevan was swamped and…who wants to talk to David Campos? Actually, I’ve never heard him speak. Maybe he’s fascinating. David Campos could be the most interesting person in the world. He just doesn’t look it.
I chatted with D8 Candidates Rebecca Prozan and Scott Wiener, both of whom were lovely, friendly and funny.
I also spoke with D8 Candidate Laura Spanjian.
Mark gets a little flack for never meeting a microphone he didn’t like, but I have to say, he’s a wonderful speaker. Suddenly, I care deeply about some ballot measure in Maine. In fact, I think Mark and I should go to Maine and protest. By protest, of course, I mean sitting in matching Adirondack chairs in front of a vintage lighthouse watching the waves of the Atlantic crash upon the rocks below and discussing Mad Men…

*See Brock's version of the event HERE and Bill Wilson's version of the event HERE.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sobriety agrees with you.
I just clicked on your picture and was blown away.
Wow Beth. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Great shot of you and mark... Who's the hobo?

Anonymous said...

Good call on Laura Spanjian. What's her problem? She's cold and awkward, don't trust her at all.

Mark Leno is a saint. Good call on him too.

No Mandleman?

Spots said...

I heard Rafael was there. I just didn't see him.

And to be fair, Laura was just kinda weird. She came up to the people I was speaking with and after a while of her talking to them and me trying to nod like I was included, I introduced myself to her and reminded her that we've met many times before, that SHE facebook friended ME and that my name is Beth. She shook my hand and went back to not talking to me.
I look forward to repeating this exchange for the next year...

Natalie said...

You really are lovely. Great picture. And this post made me laugh, especially the Maine/Mad Men reference.

sfmike said...

You're a very brave woman. I looked at Bill Wilson's photos of the event and was frankly terrified.

@Anonymous 8:50: That was perfect, but mean.

Brock said...

yes, sfmike, though not nearly as bad as the aging-tweaker-saddled-with-dementia look you've expertly perfected.

sfmike said...

@Brock: I am not "aging," I am old. As for "tweaker," I've witnessed too many friends and acquaintances who were completely destroyed by speed over the last 30 years, so I can't look at that drug without horror and distaste. "Saddled with dementia"? I'll give you that.

Anonymous said...

Amazing.

Anonymous said...

Beth -- that blush is your perfect color!!

Spots said...

Thanks Natalie! And Anonymous, it's NARS Angelika. I was questioning it, so thanks!