Tuesday, October 20, 2009

according to brock, going as a sheet-with-two-holes ghost is retro...

Last night's quick drink with Kate and Richard turned into a 5 hour dinner for 8. And over the course of this fabulous meal, I promised Richard I would put him in the "blog on the internet." He was adamant that he be mentioned as Richard thinks this will somehow provide him with street cred to his staff.
And so, because we made a mutually beneficial deal, here is my half of the bargain.
My favorite quotes from last night's dinner include, "I don't know if I can make it. I might have to run an election in Kosovo" and varied suggestions for Halloween costumes, most of which are too inappropriate to actually mention.
Richard, welcome to the internet.
Speaking of Halloween costumes, I need a good one by this Saturday night. My wonderful brother is taking me to his company Halloween party. And I have a feeling these folks take Halloween pretty seriously.
I like the idea of something really topical, but obviously everyone's thought of Balloon Boy and that's already old news. I'm desperate for suggestions, so please feel free to hook me up. What are you going as? Or are you too cool to dress up?
Worse comes to worse, I could go as someone from Mad Men. But my favorite character right now is Carla, which would employ one of last night's inappropriate (yet topical!) suggestions and Alex would never forgive me...

8 comments:

Greg said...

I can never think of a good costume in time, usually because I'm so busy around now. I used to really get into it though. last year I went as the scariest thing imaginable - i put on a nametag that said "Dow Jones".

Anonymous said...

Linda Ronstadt.

Jackson West said...

Clive Owen! (Kidding, kinda.)

Clair said...

Black outfit, blue feather boa, and possibly fairy wings. And Birkenstocks. I'm dressing up as the Haight.

Anonymous said...

I guess scaring up a brass bikini would be a little too....fannish?

Natalie said...

Halloween is always a source of great angst for me. I can never think of a good costume and it pisses me off every year.

sfmike said...

When my partner Tony was working for Lucas for a number of years, he kept being mistaken for George because they both had beards, fabulous silver-streaked heads of hair, and were slightly overweight. So one year we decided Tony should just put on a flannel shirt (George's usual wear) and I'd go in drag as Linda Ronstadt.

We came to our senses just in time, and wore something stupid because it really would have been offensive to the guy signing the checks, but wait...I have an idea! You need to go as a mixture of Carrie Fisher in her current "Wishful Drinking" phase and Princess Leia. You can wear the hair and silly dress with plastic cocktail glasses and pharmaceuticals hanging off of it. The prizes for best costume, by the way, are usually off the charts.

Anonymous said...

Joan and her accordian