Thursday, September 10, 2009

mississippi was my favorite...

At least once a month, my brother and I have dinner back at home with our folks. Tonight's dinner conversation involved a heated debate about the death penalty over roast beef and caprese salad. As dinner wound down, my brother Alex announced, "Dad thinks he can do what Al Franken did."
"You mean draw all 50 states?"
My father leaned back in his chair with confidence.
"Dad, have you even seen the video?" We asked.
"I don't need to see the video!"
Fine, we said. Let's do it.
So, incredible nerds that we are, we did.
My dad is pretty goddamn adorable.
Growing up, my father made Alex and my lunches, placing leftover osso bucco in plastic bags and once creating a "sandwich" with mango chutney and a hamburger bun. His real lunch-making skill was his daily trivia question, which was usually a lesson in State Capitals. One one side of the brown paper bag would be a felt-tipped, "What is the capital of New York?" On the other side, "Albany."
As Alex got older, my brother would request an extra snack-pack or fruit roll-up to be included in his lunch bag. At lunchtime, Alex would stand on a playground bench and with the fruit roll-up in hand, scream, "What is the capitol of Nevada?"
Whomever screamed back "Carson City!" would get the roll-up.
And rightly so...
*Speaking of videos, today's Weekend What's Up is UP! Please forgive my hair. I was having "a day."

12 comments:

Natalie said...

You have the best family. They sound like so much fun. When I was in middle and high school my mom and I used to sit at the kitchen table and quiz each other on world capitals. I was such a nerd but I loved it.

Spots said...

Thank you!
Nerdy family conversations are the best...

mal615 said...

You are one lucky lady! And it's obvious that you and your family value each other highly - so many people don't appreciate what they have. Thanks for inviting even those of us who don't even know you into your world!

Be_Devine said...

Dinner at the Spotswoods should be one of the '101 Things To Do Before You Die.' It's just that great!

Joe said...

I miss your family.. Osso Bucco in plastic bags. You can't make that shit up...

Anonymous said...

A-fuckin'-mazing!
Richard, you're a true Statesman.

T.P.

Anonymous said...

Cornhuskers said Hollah!

Molly Crosland said...

I love your Dad! He's too adorable for words and that's an amazing feat!

Brock said...

this made me call my dad. i don't know why. excellent job, spots.

Anonymous said...

awesome awesome. is it no coincidence that maybe al and your dad are the same age? is this commentary on the current school cirriculum?
also, I'm from Hawaii -- it's the Aloha State not the Rainbow state, but I'll buy it...

Anonymous said...

Very charming. I must ask, what happened to Minnesota and Wisconsin?

Spots said...

They're there! He did all 50 states, but I had to edit. I mean, he went on for 2 minutes about "The Keystone State" and trust me, no one wants to sit through that...