Tuesday, September 08, 2009

dockers aside, al franken just got way hotter...

Years ago when I was travelling in New York with my family, my cousin Matt called up some of his friends from boarding school. We all hit the town together and I hit it off with one boarding school friend in particular.
Obviously.
Younger male friend of a relative? Sold.
Anyway, his name was something like Josh and he was hilarious. Hilarious in that he was smart and weird and kind of eccentric, with this bizarre collection of experiences and stories. He was right out of a Wes Anderson movie and I got the biggest kick out of him. One night, my cousin and his cronies came back to my hotel room to drink and eat and hang out until the early morning. They sat around the dining room swapping stories and drinking wine out of coffee mugs and suddenly, Josh claimed he could draw the entire globe, including outlining every country on the planet.
He then proceeds to actually do this, grabbing paper wherever we can find it. All of us crowded around, watching as, at least to our questionable knowledge, this kid actually drew a legit map, labeling as he went along. I was enthralled, appalled, amazed.
And so, Al Franken having the lower 48 down pat is great and all. But 5 years ago, a 23 year old did the entire fucking globe on a cocktail napkin in a Manhattan hotel room at 4am. So, you know...

3 comments:

Patricia Appelquist said...

I don't know the 23yr old is still a bit hotter than Al Franken but, he isn't "cub" material...

I think you should get Josh to do the globe drawing while you film him with your flip video...

Also, on the subject of younger men is your brother getting engaged???

Spots said...

Do you know something I don't?

DJTennessee said...

his name was something like Josh

Your level of detailed memories of ex'es and exploits rivals even my own.