Thursday, August 13, 2009

ya seen one painting, ya seen 'em all...

Normally, I let my number one ho fight her own battles, but I feel some sort of responsibility since it was my stupid question in the first place. This morning, Melissa's column in the Examiner included an explanation (to me!) on the Arts Commission resignations. (and with that, 97% of you click onto bigger and better posts.) 
In it, she wrote, "I always figured that the Arts Commission was a bunch of bored, well-heeled women sporting bouffant hair and fabulous jewelry ... In fact, the commission is made up of 15 members appointed by the mayor. Eleven of those seats have to be practicing artists, including architects, writers, dancers and musicians."
Hmmm. Who knew!
Excitingly, my friend CBig at 7x7 wrote an awesome piece today presenting the issue from the side of the newly-resigned commissioners, including Jeannene Przyblyski who's hubby is Eric Jaye, the dude who just stormed out of Gavin's campaign. 
Apparently, "Przyblyski was also bothered by the Examiner’s presumed portrayal as to the make-up of Arts Commission members... 'The idea that this commission is comprised of 'matrons,' wives and party-people is offensive. The very idea that this all boils down to ‘matronage’ rather than serious, civic patronage is both sexist and hurtful.'
I could be biased on this one, but someone needs to stare at a Degas for a second and calm herself. 
Didn't Melissa basically say, "You'd think the commission is made up of a bunch of rich dilettantes with attitude problems but actually it's made up of a bunch of working artists." And didn't Jeannene just say, "Stop staying we're a bunch of rich dilettantes, you sexist reporter! We're working artists!"
Just checking. 
I'm going to gaze at public art now. And by gaze at public art, I mean watch me some Real Housewives of Atlanta...

4 comments:

Natalie said...

You make the assumption that if people like Jeannene Przyblyski can read, they take the time to do so. I'm finding that assumption is often wrong.

Anonymous said...

That's what we call a swimmer.

sfmike said...

I loved Bigelow's poor little rich matrons article, especially the last paragraph where she quotes San Francisco's own Queen of Mean.

“I love this city,” enthused Wilsey, who said she will always find a way or a cause for which to volunteer. “But pursuing a personal vendetta in any arena, public or private, is very inappropriate and never serves the greater good will.”

I just can't imagine Dede EVER pursuing a personal vendetta, can you? And since Eric Jaye is essentially Satan, I assume his wife with the unpronounceable last name is not exactly a beleaguered innocent. I have to confess that I'm enjoying this way too much.

Spots said...

Wow! Well, I have to say that I very much like, Catherine Bigelow. She's fun to hang out with and I love her work...