Monday, July 06, 2009

piano? bar? i'm in...

My cousin Jenny and I just got back to the house after getting manicures and pedicures at a Santa Fe strip mall. Talk about depressing! This mall, called the DeVargas Shopping Center or similar, is basically where people go to die. We had 15 minutes to kill before our nail appointment so Jen and I ventured into Ross. The joint was jam packed with desperate people all of whom needed a polyester maxi-dress for $11.99 and all of whom can only shop provided every member of their entire extended family comes along to stand in the aisles and talk on their cell phones. 
Actually, that's pretty much every Ross. 
Anyway, we're not doing any real sightseeing mainly because we've rented such a magnificent home. It's so huge, we barely see each other and occasionally, someone'll walk past the pool and I'll go, "Oh yeah. My mother's here."
However last night, the 6 "kids" went to Vanessie, a piano bar my folks had visited on a trip here a few years ago. They'd raved and raved about the spot and about Doug, the pianist who charms all the bluehairs who come to hear him. Imagine, if you will, Dorothy, Blanche and Rose out for a night in Santa Fe. That's Vanessie. 70-something's all dressed in their business-casual finest sipping Chardonnay to Doug's version of "Somewhere Out There."
Kate asked me if I thought we'd meet the loves of out lives at Vanessie. 
"I don't know." I responded. "I've never been into guys in printed polo shirts." 
We couldn't get it table, it was so packed with the nearly dead, but my brother managed to capture the following video, and we're on our way back there tonight...

I don't know where my love of the amateur performer comes from, but I think it stems from the joy I find in the guy with the regular, boring, clip-on-tie job waiting all week to spend his Tuesday nights belting the soundtrack of a dentist office. I find it very sweet and funny and interesting that this passion to perform, something I think I understand pretty goddamn deeply, is actually lived out in public at a microphone while an assembled crowd of the moderately sophisticated watch on/eat onion loaf. 
And as for Leonard, the straw-hatted gentleman above, well once I saw his walker put into place at the mic stand and his sassy, self-deprecating delivery of "Leonard" I simply fell in love. With him. With his hobby. With Vanessie...

4 comments:

Be_Devine said...

Hate to break it to ya, but I think you stumbled into piano night at the Shady Oaks Assisted Living Facility's community center.

Kate said...

Your perspective is so darn much fun to read. Keep it comin'.

Fredo said...

So, according to the DeVargas site (what? I'm at work and bored) there's a Leatherworks, a "Queen's Ransom," and a "Surrender Dorothy" listed.

Are you certain you left SF?

Wain said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Barbara

http://keyboardpiano.net