Sunday, July 12, 2009

it's probably from 1997 anyway...

I'm at a loss. A frustrating, unfixable loss. 
Yesterday, the Missus and I enjoyed lunching and shopping at the mall. As we poked around Banana Republic, we enjoyed a heated discussion on why one would buy white pants when I suddenly said, "This song is amazing." 
I'll readily admit to my apparently shitty taste in music. I have no problem confessing that yes, I like Rob Thomas. That douche John Mayer is right up my alley. And sure, I sobbed hysterically at James Blunt's heartbreaking performance on a 1am episode of Oprah. Who didn't? I'm VH1's target spinster, and I make no apologies
But this song playing in a lesser Banana Republic...well, it was cool. Cool even to other people! And I really, really liked it. I couldn't make out the words, it was too weird, gay and cocktail party background-esque. Normally, I'll google a sentence, find whatever song struck my fancy and buy it on iTunes. But I couldn't make out a word of this masterpiece. 
"Excuse me." I said to  woman with one of those secret service things in her ear, in case of a "Martin fit eco-chic trouser" emergency. "Do you know what song this is?"
She looked at me in bored horror. "No."
"Oh, okay. It's just this song is so..."
But she was off to fold some cropped cardigans and I was left worrying about the customer service policies of one of my standard clothiers. I'm not saying she had to run down to the CD player somewhere and burn me a copy. But a little, "I know! We've been wondering too" or "Let me ask my hella gay manager, Reymundo" would have made me feel less like an asshole. 
We didn't buy a thing at the Westfield Banana and if I may, I suggest you shop at the Union Square flagship Banana anyway. It's 12 times the size and selection. But that song stayed stuck in my head throughout J. Crew, Zara and the frozen yogurt joint. I continues to drive me nuts, in fact. There's a song out there, an awesome song to add to my repertoire and I'll never know what it is. 
And neither will you. Thanks to some skank at Banana...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa! I started clocking on your music links!
Hilarious, awesome, shocking...nice linkage.

I forgot about Take That. Man, they really do suck serious ass. But I've got to hand it to you with T'pau and Chet Baker. You are an odd woman.

Anonymous said...

This same thing happened to me while I was shopping at Heritage 1981. (I'm 40 and was the oldest woman there by 20 years.) I remembered to use the Shazam app on my phone and alas... it was Nickel Eye's "Brandy of the Damned". wtf?

Moral of the story...maybe you should get an iPhone? OR sometimes it's better NOT to know..

Anonymous said...

My guess is Blur, Song 2. It's great and hard to comprehend the lyrics.

Spots said...

It was definitely not Blur #2. It was more Jamiraquois meets Daniel Merriweather.
Sort of.
We shall never know...

Anonymous said...

maybe she looked at you in bored horror because you don't have shazam.
http://www.shazam.com/music/web/pages/getshazam.html

Anonymous said...

Normally I sign in with my name but I'm Anon today because I too love "Goodbye My Lover."
Cheesy, yes, but so sad. I don't want everyone to know what a dweeb I am!
And I remember you telling me that the worst part of breaking up is losing a friend, which is the saddest thing and so true. Oh my God, this song makes me cry.

Evan said...

You need an iPhone! That app is surprisingly useful.

Anonymous said...

I admit to being the point-person for our corporate Muzak hold musi...muzak. Technological advances being what they are, I now get a DVD every other month with so many songs on it that Muzak can't even supply me with a playlist anymore. If someone (like you) were to ask what song is playing, I'd have to run into my telco closet and look at the 32 character black on green display. Not saying I wouldn't. But that's what I'd have to do. Maybe hella gay Reymundo might have a better solution.

Anonymous said...

because naturally any human being who doesn't want to interact with you over a song they couldn't give two shits about is a skank. you weren't shopping at amoeba, you know.

Karla said...

I'm on the internet A LOT and your blog is my absolute favorite, I think you are hilarious, love your links, etc. Thanks!!

Natalie said...

I love Out the Door. Every time I go I tell myself I'll get something other than the vermicelli noodles with either pork or five spice chicken, but I can't bring myself to do it. It's just so damn good.