Tuesday, June 02, 2009

and i hate cartoons...

I had dinner with my fabulous friend John last week, finally losing my Delfina virginity. I'm sure it's been shoved down our throats for years, Delfina is the new Italian restaurant. It's right in my hood, I've passed it a million times, I pride myself on hitting anywhere with buzz before the regular folks go... I just never made it to Delfina. (I bet you real money I would've been had they valet.)
I've always been a late bloomer. Ugh, it's so embarrassing. I wait and wait and wait and then, suddenly, the clouds part, the sun shines and I get what the hell the big deal is. 
When I finally gave it up and had, you know, the sex, I called my BFF the next morning and whispered, "Oooohhhhh. I see."
The same thing happened with booze, and look how that turned out. 
I refused to watch "Mad Men" for ages and, um August!
And I took one bite of that chicken liver crostini at Delfina and had to interrupt John mid-sentence, "Oh my GOD!"
"What?"
"This food, it's..."
"I know."
"It's amazing!"
He looked at me like I was nuts. I guess everyone else is there constantly. "I'm so glad you like it." 
I liked it so much, I dragged Mel to their Pac Heights Pizzeria yesterday. 
We love it!
So, I'm finally learning this lesson. I didn't learn it carnally. I didn't really learn it drunk. I guess I didn't learn it with the symbiosis of the two, Mad Men. But I finally get the point. Sometimes, when people go on and on and on about how goddamn fabulous something is, they might have a point. 
The tragic result of my learning this lesson, alas, is that now I have to see Up...

7 comments:

Tim said...

There's a work-around. Call it an 'animated film' in your head. Then go see it.

Be_Devine said...

No so much a fan of Delfina. It's okay, but I certainly don't get the buzz. Mos def not a fan of Pizzeria Delfina. I make a much better pizza and don't charge $84, or whatever ungodly price they're charging these days for their small pizza.

Zuni, on the other hand . . . . Heaven.

Rrose Selavy said...

I get the OMG over a good chicken liver crostini, but I still don't get it over "Mad Men." Did I give up on the show too soon?

Anonymous said...

What? You mean you've missed Breaking Bad???

Generic said...

iPhone?

Spots said...

@Brian: See, I feel that way about Zuni. What's the big deal...except for that bread salad thing.

@Rose: Yes. Yes, you did.

@Generic: I was just talking about that! I'm still learning my Blackberry. If I got an iPhone now, I'd be on schedule with everyone else, as opposed to my usual year behind.

And everyone, I saw Up. Alone.
It was good...but I still kinda with I went to The Hangover instead.

Elizabeth said...

I don't watch cartoon movies either but everyone IN THE WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD loved Up SO MUCH that I paid my $13 for a freaking CARTOON and saw it on Sunday.

The bottom line: Good, but ehhhhh.

I'm glad I'm not the only one without a boner for it.