Saturday, April 25, 2009

there goes maude...

Brian and I were driving to the CDP in Sacramento when my phone started to blow up. Oh my God, has someone died?!?!?
Yes.
I'm a little overwhelmed at strangers sending me condolences. After all, I've never met Bea Arthur, never seen her in a play, only loved her from afar since I was 5'9" in 5th Grade. But I hold Bea very close to my heart because I've always so identified with her, particularly as Maude and Dorothy. Her being tall and bitchy and funny reminded me that I was pretty good at all of those things too. My favorite moments of Dorothy's are always when she gets to shine, where we finally get a chance to see that the witty, interesting woman can be the beautiful woman. It sounds weird, but I'm a little proud that I've received so many emails and bizarre condolences today. I had a Shirley Temple with Mike Farrah at the hotel bar today and even he was like, "By the way, I'm so sorry about Bea Arthur." 
So I'm still sticking with my previous self-description, dead or alive. I'm honored to be the 31-year old equivalent of Dorothy from the Golden Girls. May I be so lucky as to live to 86, marry Leslie Nielsen on a TV show and one day have a moment like this:

What a tragic event to happen on Al Pacino's birthday...

4 comments:

big jer said...

I heard and thought about you right away as well. She was/is wonderful and may she rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

I will treasure my Brandon Bird print of her wrestling a velociraptor even more so now.

sfmike said...

She was an authentic goddess. Glad she lived long and well.

Holly said...

ditto Big Jer.