Thursday, March 12, 2009

fa-lap ball change...

I've had the Marc Cohn song, Strangers in a Car stuck in my head all night, so I hopped on YouTube to find a video to listen to while I trolled the internets. Thus, I found some random dance troup twirling around to the song and in the middle of this video of teenage chicks in leotards, I noticed the lone male dancer.
Immediately, I loved him! I imagine him currently struggling through high school PE and having not one, single, solitary male friend.
And immediately after imaging that, I remembered Link.
I took tap and jazz from Kindergarten through 8th Grade at Happy Feet in Mill Valley and give or take a few girls, we were the same group of 15 for my entire childhood. And in our class, we had one guy.
Link.
I'm pretty sure Link was heterosexual and oddly comfortable taking dance with a bunch of girls for years. He used hair product and his father drove a car with a custom horn that he'd honk upon request. Us girls would give each other cootie shots to protect against whatever Link had, which in retrospect was cool confidence, a laid back attitude and comfort in his own skin. A cootie shot consists of making a peace sign with both hands and then placing said peace signs one over the other. A victim of Link walking past would then insert her finger (heh) into the square you'd created, you'd give her finger a squeeze and thus, cootie shot.
It was incredibly lame, made more so by the fact that Link couldn't care less. It's not like he was oblivious. I think he just had karate to go to next.
I didn't.
I had to sit around for hours and watch other classes until my working mother finally picked me up in what seemed like the middle of the night.
Anyway, tonight I watched this dance troupe's one man-dancer and would like to give an internet shout out to Link, whose last name I don't think I ever knew. Well done, sir.
As for the rest of you, I'll have you know that I am still one hell of a tap dancer...
PS: This is also a silent photo response to anyone who ever says to me, "You must love being tall."

9 comments:

Tim said...

ghostbusters? explain.

Brett said...

I'd love to know where Link is now.

Oh, and "Who you gonna call?"

KG said...

*That* photo is awesome.

Also, you had rather complicated cootie shots! I didn't know there was actually a procedure for them...

Spots said...

Explain what? We danced around to Ghostbusters. At the end of the year, each class performs a number at the huge, 57 hour long recital at the Marin Civic Center, location of the filming of Gattaca and where I continue to fail to see any genius in Frank Llyod Wright.
At some point in the 57 hours, I think before you go on, you pose with your class for a group shot. I have 9 of these, sadly not all Ghostbuster themed...

Sweet Melissa said...

We always drew two imaginary circles on the "patient" and then poked each circle once. "Circle circle dot dot, now you have your cootie shot."

And don't you worry about Link or this dude in the video - straight boys in dance class get laid like football players only dream about.

mal615 said...

Before I really looked at the kids on the front row with their "no ghosts" signs, I sort of thought the kids on the back row were sperm and your dance class was doing some interperative reproduction program. But maybe that's because my 16 year old daughter is studying the reproductive system in her anatomy class and was pasting pictures of different birth control options into her notebook...

Brock said...

the back row looks like sperm.

Generic said...

straight boys in dance class get laid like football players only dream about

Absolutely, immutably true.

The only real drawback is having to endure dance class. If they actually enjoy it, they've snagged the brass ring.

I have a friend who did theater for a decade before he realized it was just for the girls. He had a lot of trouble adjusting to a real world ratio (1:1), once he stopped.

*cough*

Spencer said...

That photo could melt all this stuff.