Monday, February 09, 2009

we're going in the hudson...

I was kinda over this whole US Airways landing in the Hudson thing. At first, it was very exciting as I'm a huge fan of air disasters. And even better, Clemens was given the glorious task of Captain Sully's spokesperson. Upon hearing this news, I rapidly began texting Clemens, desperate for some kind of dicey gossip on the apprent hero. I mean, really, the guy just landed a plane on the water. Big whoop, right? Alas, he had no juice for me, other than to say wonderful, serious, respectful things about Sully. Come ON. How boring is that?
The only remaining excitment I managed to suck from this plane crash was that Clemens got to go to the Superbowl with Sully and meet a bunch of celebrities, which I regard as the only acceptably excuse for missing my birthday. So as far as I was concerned, this snoozer human interest story was no big news, at least until we find out what happened to checked luggage. But this morning, checking in with the greatest blog on all of the interweb, Dlisted, I read, "Sully is a badass motherfucker" posted with the following 11 minute clip from 60 Minutes which you HAVE to watch. I was all worried about watching it at work until my boss came running over, grabbed my shoulders and screamed, "Oh my God, Sully! Turn it up!"

Whoa. You know, you'd think you'd want a wacky, fun pilot at the help of your flight, keeping the mood light and pointing out the Grand Canyon to your left. Nope. You want a serious, old dude with a thousand years under his belt who smelled "burning birds" and didn't have time to pray. I can't believe Katie Couric and her unfortunate new hair-do asked Sully if he prayed. I wish he'd said, "No, I was too busy using my God given brilliant brains to save lives, but nice try."
Anyway, I take it all back. Sully is indeed a badass motherfucker. He wasn't weeping for Darlene in 26B or regretting never taking the time to scubadive. The man had 3 minutes and wasn't screwing around, which in my eyes, makes him far more fabulous than Captain Feelgood who makes inappropriate jokes about floatation devices...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was hoping he had some snide remark for Katie's awful questions.

Patricia said...

Clemens is the BEST in the business if you know someone who might make it big tell them to call him first because let's face it with a professional like him and his amazing staff you would be able to hold your head up in public.

Yeah, all the women newscasters went to the same dumb saloon and got messed up do's Ktvu Heather Holmes, Katie Couric, Jessica Aguirre and Phil Matier-there must have been a buy 1 get 1 free coupon.

Stephanie said...

I think that Sully handle the "Coriffic" questions elegantly. It would be beneath him to be snide to her just because she's got a stupid haircut. If there was a way to clone Sully and have him as pilot on every flight, that would be a better way to spend a few billion in government funds.