Tuesday, February 17, 2009

;) is for losers...

Much like the inspirational quotes at the end of an e-mail, I'm officially doing away with any type of punctuation "face." I've heard various arguments all weekend long in their defense. Apparently, they provide some sort of unspoken nuance, particularly the winking smiley face.
"It's really difficult to express tone in e-mails. Emoticons let someone know if you're kidding or flirting."
Nonsense! That's a result of shitty writing skills. If you can't flirt without a semi-colon and a parenthesis, you shouldn't be procreating anyway. And this whole "face" thing leaves just as much room for misinterpretation as anything else. Bad communication skills are bad communication skills, regardless of whether or not the smiley face has it's tongue sticking out.
The jury's still out on instant message emoticon usage, really only because I love that little guy who's laughing so hard, he's literally rolling on the floor laughing, saving one from having to type ROTFL. But that punctuation shit? Over...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

;)

Anonymous said...

It's all Abraham Lincoln's fault

Jer said...

>=-( Grrr! Someone's upset! :-P

Anonymous said...

*sigh* You speak truth, but I am still a slave to the smiley face.

Moonrose2715 said...

I have to admit, I frequently use the smiley face in hopes that my tone will come through. Good writing or not, the fact remains that people interpret things the way they want to. The smiley face is a feeble attempt to sidestep any potential problems later. (You know... Didn't you see the smiley face? I was joking!)... Sarcasm reads poorly in text, and I am far too sarcastic....

Sweet Melissa said...

When are you going to start your professional flirting advice service? I've been saving up!

miz_g said...

I do this specifically to annoy people. :P

Molly Crosland said...

I want to make this my quote of the day!


"That's a result of shitty writing skills. If you can't flirt without a semi-colon and a parenthesis, you shouldn't be procreating anyway."

Seana said...

We can't all be the fabulous writer that you are! Some of us might, in fact, be *challenged* to write without emoticons. Besides, my procreating days are over. It's all about gratuitous sex now.

Karla said...

I really appreciate the crab in G-chat. It's pretty much a catch-all for anything I wish to convey. (ie: I hope he gets V.v.V)