Thursday, February 05, 2009

i have, however, heard of hey-song sasparilla...

I had "drinks" with Tim the Trainer the other night at Benders. I'm proud to say, I'm back on my barstool folks. I just have about 15 "Diet Coke with a lot of lemon"s instead of 15 Gibsons with onions on the side. Anyway, we're chatting away when Tim mentions a phrase I can't quite understand.
"Wait. What'd you say?"
"Inca Cola."
So I casually responded, "What's Inca Cola."
You'd have thought I asked "What's a gay person?" or "What's Chardonnay?" Tim thought I was kidding before diving into a tirade about how Inca Cola is THE Peruvian soda of choice, the Golden Kola, the bubblegum flavored gift from our friends down south. How on God's green Earth could I have never heard of Inca Cola? On and on, he went, literally horrified at my ignorance. Disgusted, shocked, disappointed.
"Where does one get Inca Cola?" I sheepishly asked.
"Jesus, Beth. Anywhere! Peruvian Restaurants!"
No sooner had I gotten home than an e-mail from Tim popped up in my inbox with a link to Inca Cola, like he was a missionary sending me to the Gap website with the encouraging, "These are called jeans."
I've spent the past two days walking around and asking strangers, "Psst! Hey, you! Ever heard of Inca Cola?"
I've been met with an overwhelming "No."
So either I'm an ignorant American, stuck to my Fresca and blissfully ignorant of this magical tonic from South America or Tim spends way too much time hanging our in Peruvian restaurants...

10 comments:

Brittney said...

*No sooner had I gotten home than an e-mail from Tim popped up in my inbox with a link to Inca Cola, like he was a missionary sending me to the Gap website with the encouraging, "These are called jeans."*

You have a gift. For making me laugh like a mule when the newsroom is in dead silence. I look like a crazy person.

Be_Devine said...

Inca Cola!! It saved my life when I was hiking on the Maccu Piccu trail.

I was suffering from elevation sickness and low blood sugar and the sherpa suggested I drink an Inca Cola. That and a few cacao leaves, and I was up and running in no time.

Way too sweet for my taste, but if you ever find yourself high in the Andes with low blood sugar, it's a life saver.

shayera said...

I've had it. My grocery store carries it once in a while. Just to be fancy like that.
I agree with Brian, it's way sweet. One of my friends refers to it as "diabetes in a bottle" it's that sweet,

Greg said...

there's another one too, I can't remember the name though. there's a market on mission that has all the peruvian/colombian/venezuelan stuff in one spot.

Brock said...

Does it give you muddy diarrhea. I bet it does.

Sweet Melissa said...

Is it like grape drink?

Tim said...

It does not give you the big D. Trust me. I've had more than healthy amounts. People have described it somewhere between pineapple and bubblegum. But really, it's just the Golden Cola.

Brett said...

The golden cola sounds like a product sold at an organic fetish market.

Seana said...

I've never heard of it, until this post. Out here in the boon docks I'm not likely to find it at the local Safeway. I'll have to search at Cost Plus to see if they carry it. I'm a little afraid.

Karyn said...

Never heard of it.... wonder if MASS even carries it.