Monday, February 23, 2009

apples can skip generations...

My mother, God bless her, has random old pictures scanned onto her computer, mostly for the purpose of making memorial handouts for funerals. I've discovered a cache of photos of my Grandmother on here, my mom's mom who if you'll recall, I had a rollercoaster of a relationship with. They say relationships can be like that because two people are so similar to one another. Me similar to my grandmother? Please.
Anyway, I came upon one fabulous photo of what appeared to be a dinner party. Now, you'll notice my Grandpa standing in the middle, a little to the right. He basically looked exactly like that when he was 40 and when he was 80. He's staring straight at the camera. So is everyone else. Even the guy on the left realized at the last minute he needed to turn his head, creating a blur.
Not my grandmother. Can you pick her out? Yep. She's the one staring off into the distance. She probably held that pose the second that camera came out of someone's handbag. Why? Because that's her good side.

This is when I miss my Grandma, when she does fabulous shit like this. It was my inherited Grandma-isms that first endeared me to the gays, and still do in fact. I just taught Brock how to pose so your face looks as thin as humanely possible, a trick I learned from my Grandmother. The only problem with these little tricks is that when you're photographed in a group, as evidenced above, you've really got to get everyone to go along with you for it to work. In retrospect, my Grandma probably would've looked less weird had she screamed, "Hey! What's over there?!?" Then everyone would have been romantically gazing off to their right. I bet you anything if my Grandmother was alive today and I passive-aggressively asked her where she was looking, she'd lie and say she was admiring a painting. But I'd know, and she'd know. That's her good side...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd have to give runner up to the guy next to your grandma with the ghost face.

Anonymous said...

I also have a double chin vanishing trick for pics! Just stick your tongue as flat the the roof of your mouth as possible and smile. Voila! No chance of a double chin sneaking itself into your glamour shot! LOL! It works, I do it every time and so does my mother.

Sweet Melissa said...

You don't have a bad side, Bethy!