Thursday, January 22, 2009

thoughts please...

I've had this argument many times. Can men and women be platonic friends?
As I had dinner with Becky last night, I got a text from Big Chris.
"What's up?" which is Big Chris for "Wanna hang?"
I ended up meeting him at Cha Cha Cha and as I entered, he looked at me and asked, "Did you have a meeting? Or perhaps, (he smirked) a date?"
"No douchebag." I relayed where I was as Chris pretended to watch the television behind the bar. I began to explain that Becky had just broken up with some guy and said guy still wanted to be friends.
"Impossible." Chris stated, refusing to divert his eyes from the screen. "Men and women cannot be friends."
I stated the obvious. "Well, we're friends."
"Yeah, but I've seen your boobs. And you're not a girl."
I eventually left him at Beauty Bar flirting with the bartendress who, quite frankly and rightfully so, was maintaining a professional distance from Big Chris. Buy her all the shots you want, pal. It ain't gonna happen. And as I drove home, I thought about what he said. My old friend Darren once claimed that men and women could be friends if neither found the other attractive. But then Darren went and got married and that's the last I saw of him. Hastings is one of my closest compadres although he saw me suffering in sweatpants through rehab, thus making us more like family than friends. And the most consistent relationship I've ever had in my life is with a womanizing, straight doofus named Big Chris.
So I disagree with my friend. Although, I've got to admit that Chris is the guy that once said over casual drinks at Dirty Thieves, "Do you want to have sex tonight?"
"What? No! Chris, that would ruin everything."
"I know. I'm perfectly fine with having sex tonight and never talking to you again."
Well, I'm not. I'd much rather Chris go home with a bartendress and still come over to watch Rambo 4 with me...

PS: THIS post by Leslie is right up my alley. Check it out.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd have taken Big Chris up on that offer. He's HOT.

Anonymous said...

I agree, should have done Big Chris.

Becky said...

Big Chris wears shoes with a basketball star on them that have a velcro element. I love him, even though for some really annoying reason, he shows up everytime I cry in your kitchen. That being said, good choice...Rambo not sex.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Big Chris. Eventually, one of you will date someone territorial and it will get weird.

Karyn said...

One of my closest friends is a guy - but he's gay, so not sure that counts... I think I'd have to agree with "big Chris"... ESPECIALLY if said man/woman have had sex - I don't think you can EVER go to "friends" if you've "been there done that"...

evan said...

I disagree.
I'm friends with ex-girlfriends. It's cool but it took a little while. We don't talk about who we're with now, but one is a really good friend of mine. I fuckin' love that bitch.
And Spots and Big Chris are so far outside the normal rules of this shit. They're freaks.

Brock said...

"Can men and women be platonic friends?"

Only if they're queer or blood relatives.

DJ Yuletide said...

This is an oldie, check out: http://www.laddertheory.com/

sflovestory said...

I never thought it was possible, but my BFF is a boy (straight) who I used to date. BFF and BF also get along and are going on some manly-man trip to Mt. Shasta in a week while I'm off in Cabo with my ladies.

It's never been weird. Well, not any more or less weird than any of my other relationships. I think the common denominator is that I'm a bit weird.