Thursday, August 07, 2008

subtlety is an art...

This evening, The Spotswoods are celebrating a belated Father's Day, so my brother swung by my office and picked me up with the hopes that we could find some acceptable gifts for padre at the new Tyler Forence store in Mill Valley. Tyler Florence, for those of you that don't watch the Food Network obsessively, is a TV/celebrity chef whose recently moved to my hometown and opened his first Williams-Sonoma-esque store in the former Banana Republic in the center of town. We've tried some of his "Ultimate" recipes and he's big on the sweet and savory. They're kinda complicated, but generally hits, as evidenced here.
I'd been itching to check out the new store, especially after dad and I met Tyler at the Memorial Parade. And basically, it's like a slightly more unique and quirky Williams-Sonoma with deer heads mounted on the walls. That is, until much to my delight, you head to the back where they have not only, clean-looking public restrooms but a gorgeous nook filled with funky leather couches and every cookbook on Earth.
Well, every cookbook on Earth except of course, for the very book I needed. What gives, Florence? And on that note, how does anyone who works in a store where thousands of food books are for sale not know who Michael Ruhlman is?
That being said, I could sit in TyTy's book nook for days and days planning themed dinner parties and considering making cheese and sausage from scratch.
Anyway, "Tyler Forence Mill Valley" was growing on me, even though when we met him, Tyler couldn't have cared less that he was talking to two humans much less, well...US! I always assume that once celebrities of any stature on the alphabet ladder meet me and my friends/family, they'll suddenly discover that we're way better than normal, dorky people and want to be our friend. Never happens. Probably because we're normal, dorky people.
So we find dad some presents and pay the charming ladies at the counter, one of whom still doesn't know who Michael Ruhlman is and they kindly offer to wrap our gifts. Oh, marvelous! Yes, please! How nice of you!
Now, tell me if I'm being nitpicky, because I so love it when you call me on my shit in the comments, but isn't this wrap job a tad much? Wait, at WHO'S store did you get this? Oh yeah...

8 comments:

Be_Devine said...

Labels, dear. It's all about flaunting the label. You should know that. Otherwise Dad would think you ordered it off some second-rate online bookstore.

Brock said...

Tyler Florence murdered the Plush Room.

Anonymous said...

Better slapped on giftwrap that's going to be torn off and tossed in the trash than across the ass pocket of your jeans I suppose. Still, it DOES beg for a big "Spoiler Alert" label or something.

sfmike said...

That is some awesome packaging. His blog, however, doesn't even come close to yours. Thanks for being a fountain of information, by the way. I would have never heard of either Dog the Bounty Hunter or Tyler Florence without you.

Maria said...

That store sounds awesome!

I love TF, and I would love to experience it. That packaging is so WASP-y and gorgeous. Loves it!

Seana said...

A gift for understatement is not a characteristic I would have applied to you, but "a tad much" fits within that label! I haven't been to/thought about that BR for years! Good to know the old MV isn't getting stale.

cookiecrumb said...

The wrap job would be OK if your dad's name was Tyler Florence.

(I'm using that book today! Just pulled the pork belly out of the smoker an hour ago.)

Anonymous said...

You're too polite to say it, but apparently Tyler Florence was being an elitist shit while meeting and having his photo taken with the only three-time MAYOR of the town he just moved to as well as his honor's daughter, who just happens to write for the San Francisco Chronicle.
Awesome.