Monday, August 25, 2008

i'm just a squirrel, tryin' to get a nut, to move your butt...

Let me tell you something.
C+C Music Factory kicks serious ass. 
End of discussion. 
I wisely chose to listen to 99.7FM on my way to work and was rewarded with "Gonna Make You Sweat" which is a goddamn awesome tune and takes me back to pool parties at Greg Dixon's house. You know that dance move where you hold one ankle behind you and shove it back and forth? Yeah, that's what I think of when I hear "Everybody Dance Now!"
For you old farts, C+C Music Factory was an early 90's one hit wonder. Oh wait. They may have had two hits with the timeless "Things That Make You Go Hmmmm." 
Anyway, the lead "rapper" was this dude named Freedom Williams and I thought he was the bees knees. All I wanted was to bring this socially conscious, badass, ripped African American hip-hop star to my parents' house and be all, "This is Freedom. We're in love. Deal with it."
These days, my folks would scream, "Freedom! What a lovely name! Welcome! What can we get you? Cocktails? Is she driving you nuts? Us too. Please don't leave. I understand you're in the music business! Do you know Stevie Wonder? He's quite a talent. Wheat Thin?"
Anyway, listening to this blast from the past this morning, I decided to do a little "Where is he now" research on Freedom
You're welcome. 
Um, you guys. His name is not Freedom. It's Fred
Fred Williams. 
I don't mind telling you, this is a huge letdown. 
What the fuck? Fred? Are you shitting me? Suddenly, my world is crumbling. 
Next thing you know, they'll be telling us Jon Knight is gay...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gay or Straight, he's still my favorite...sigh.

chestery said...

Dammit. You just made me realize that I've been conflating Freedom Williams and Hype Williams for years.

For years, I've been thinking that Freedom Williams was able to rise above his cheesy legacy and build a formidable career as an A-list music video director. It always made me happy and gave me hope that Fab Morvan -- surviving member of Milli Vanilli -- would someday find redemption.

And now it's all ruined.

Brett said...

Freedom Williams:Rapper::Jennifer Love Hewitt:Singer