Wednesday, August 20, 2008

god, i loved that sweatshirt...

Oh golly, you know how I love to relive the pain of youth. Today's Culture Blog is up...

It occurred to me I should assure you we no longer look like this. I don't think Alex has been cursed with my lifetime of constant humilliation, but he's certainly had his share of shitty childhood moments too. Although he never had to go to Sail Camp.

The above picture really captures the dramatic personality difference between my brother and me. 94% of his whole life, Alex has a really great attitude about everything. He doesn't want any trouble, he's just happy to be here and act friendly towards people. Forced activities? Sounds great! Weird food? A new experience! Moody sister? Awww, she doesn't mean it! So my mom posing us under an afgan on a boat was no prob for Lex. I, on the other hand, am passive aggressively attempting to ruin the photo by forcing a smile and hunching. Obviously, my Sun-In experiment was less than successful, my multiple scrunchies were being assaulted by the wind and the only thing I had going for me was that awesome sweatshirt, which I wore, and I couldn't be more serious, with immense pride. I lived in constant desperation for someone to bring up NKOTB. Because then they might have an 'in' and rescue me from my horrible family, on vacation in Maine here, and whisk me to Boston to drink Diet Sprite with Joe McIntyre. To my surprise, that's yet to happen.

4 comments:

vansmack said...

Awww...

alex said...

well played vansmack.

Nikki said...

Oh, the awkwardness of youth. Bravo for posting this pick though because if you think I would EVER reveal the pic of me rocking my Wham "Choose Life" shirt at 8 years old...well, I think I'll just keep that skeleton in the closet. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Uhm, as much as I hate being one of THOSE PEOPLE, I have to say, your brother is hot.