Sunday, August 03, 2008

code 98...

There's a ghetto grocery store in my hood, and if you've been to 23rd and South Van Ness, you know the shithole to which I refer. I don't buy actual groceries there, just the occasional Top Ramen and toilet paper, which is exactly what I needed this afternoon. As I strolled the barren aisles (a mere three types of Domestic toothpaste available), I received a call from Big Chris inquiring as to tonight's plans. 
Our phone conversation lasted approximately three minutes, Chris never really seeing the need for pleasantries in plan-making and when I hung up, I was met with an employee of ghetto grocery.
"No phones."
Um, excuse me? We are not in a movie theater or house of God. We aren't even in a lesser Safeway. How can they have a cell phone policy? They don't even have brie. 
I was so caught off guard, I apologized and shoved my cell in my handbag, but was slightly convinced I was on some type of poorly thought-out Punk'd. Maybe it was some new employee hazing ritual in which the rookie bagger has to sass a shopper. Or maybe this bitch was just in a mood. But there is no way a grocery store of any caliber much less one with an entire aisle devoted to Jesus candles can have a cell phone policy...

15 comments:

sfmike said...

The bitch was in a mood, and good for her. I've been close to bitch-slapping a few cell-phoners on Muni lately so I understand the emotion completely. Don't be one of those people, please. I admire you too intensely.

Anonymous said...

The grocery store is the ONLY place I enjoy overhearing cell phone conversations. "Honey? You there? OK, they got Buffalo Ranch, Nacho Cheesier, Cooler Ranch, Guacamole..."

Anonymous said...

"Um, excuse me? We are not in a movie theater or house of God. We aren't even in a lesser Safeway. How can they have a cell phone policy?"

Uh, it has nothing to do with "we." The person behind the counter no doubt gets tired of listening to people on their cell phone all day. People like you, blabbering and blogging about the most mundane trivial details of your boring life all day long. Don't like it, don't go there, and then you don't have to blog about it either! You can spend that extra free time focusing on how boring your life must be if you have the time to write about completely indignificant things such as this. Though, it does show how selfish you are that you don't even take another person's feelings into account...good for you, I guess. You got a super awesome blog out of it though! Amazing work!

Spots said...

Dear 12:53,
1: For accuracy's sake, I wasn't at the counter. I was in an aisle.
2: The whole point of blogs is people like me, without lives, blabbering about the most mundane parts of their days. Oh, and the other point of blogs is people like you, without lives, complaining about it. On those blogs that are, you know, so boring and offensive to read.
3: And um doctor, heal thyself. "Don't like it, don't go there..."

Anonymous said...

Have hipsters so eclipsed the Mission District that they are this oblivious to their rudeness? Sad.

Anonymous said...

also, they do have brie.

Spots said...

Jesus Christ, you cyclists need to lighten up. And if you regard that as brie, well then, you're in my prayers...

Anonymous said...

Oh man, was it the 90 year-old security guard that told you? It's hard for me to believe that ANYTHING is against the rules there, except going into the booze room without permission.

Were they worried you'd disturb the one other customer?

Anonymous said...

wow, a "ghetto" market. why don't you get in your zipcar and drive on over to Whole Foods in Marin.
geez. don't you have anything more interesting to write about living in the vibrant "Valencia corridor"

Anonymous said...

the only thing "ghetto" is her buying Top Ramen

Anonymous said...

please tell me you were blabbing about the mind-exploding bargains, like 99 cent pineapples. viva casa maria! dunno how to do the upside down exclamation point and will let someone else do it for me.

Patricia said...

I must be one of those people that have lots too because all I do is blog and talk on the cell phone. Shit it just started to rain and James Franco is hot!

Sorry beth, but I live and die by your blogging so please don't stop.

leduc said...

excellent- I got thrown out of a Smart and Final looking for band-aids

Anonymous said...

you"re an asshole go back to were you can from ...college

Anonymous said...

seriously?! you're beyond obnoxious. move to the marina where you belong.