Wednesday, June 18, 2008

divine...

Brian Devine sometimes has me in tears, he's so goddamn funny. As I was reading Mel's piece in the Examiner, she had her Top 10 Things Overheard at the Gay Nuptial Extravaganza, including a shout out to me (toot toot!)
#2 has me in such giggles, I can barely type. 
Mel had run into the Brians, who had arranged to meet up at the "Re-criminalize Sodomy" sign. Forget the Empire State Building. The new romantic rendezvous spot is the "Re-criminalize Sodomy" sign down at City Hall. 
Anyway, I'm devastated I missed this because Melissa is teaching me to love protesters. She doesn't get mad. She finds them entertaining. As, apparently, does Devine. I don't know that I would be able to stop myself from doing something dramatic and white trash, like spitting on someone holding a "God Hates Fags" sign. My friends, however, make fun of their outfits. 
And Devine, who I can just hear leaning over and saying this, has my favorite quote of Mel's brilliant list:

2. Brian Devine on the anti-gay protesters wearing hard hats with the words "Trust Jesus" on them: "If they trust Jesus, why do they need hard hats?"

3 comments:

Be_Devine said...

Awww, Bethy!! How sweet!

We missed you at the celebraprotest. You would have found SO much fodder. The protesters' hair alone could have filled hundreds of pages. And that's not even touching their clothing choices.

Becky said...

I cannot believe that you missed this...

Sweet Melissa said...

We could not have missed you more!

The best part of Brian's observation is that he said it completely earnestly and with a straight face.