Thursday, August 23, 2007

one plus one equals trouble...

Lo, Mo, Grey Cloud and I went to dinner at TWO last night, followed by drinks at W.
I've maintained throughout GC and my tumultuous relationship that no one loves him like I love him. And while this may be true, he has a particularly special and undefinable relationship with Lo, which both baffles and delights me.
This morning, however, I figured out what they have in common.
Both of them will talk you back from common sense.
Should we order another course? Should we get more drinks? Should we go home with a stranger?
No. Probably not.
But Lo and GC find a way of making it all okay.
It's not okay, when you put on your now too small jeans, hungover and in some douchebag's shitty apartment. But the night before, when they slam down credit cards and convince you that it'll all be okay if you just have one more drink and relax...well, it seems like a good idea then.
Everyone needs a friend like that.
It's good. It's healthy. It keeps you from becoming a square.
But the two of them together, this odd couple of trouble?
Well, shit. Order me another Gibson...

7 comments:

Becky said...

And the stranger?

Anonymous said...

Beth would never cheat on Mikey.

jer! said...

Yes, Beth!
What about this indiscretion!??...

greg said...

verry interesting...

btw....I'm in your ghetto this week housesitting...just so you know...hide or whatever....

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Greeley's Ghost said...

Ack! My favorite S.F. blogger was in "Two" the same night as I (but probably much later)! I need to pay more attention to the crowd than to my drink orders.
By the way, is it just me or is it cynical brilliance to shut down a restaurant (Hawthorne Lane), move the booths around, reopen it with a new name and jack up the prices 75% on essentially the same food?
No wait, smaller portions. My bad.

matt said...

Beth Spotswood, you are too cool for school. I have a huge crush on you.