Friday, March 16, 2007

do yourself a favor...

I can’t stop talking about Zodiac. I’m telling you, this is a fabulous movie. It’s 2 hours and 40 minutes long, but if you ask me, it feels like an hour. There is no person in this world that I love going to movies with more than my brother, so I was thrilled when we made plans to go together last weekend, sneaking in burritos and sitting up front.
As the opening credits began, I whispered, “Oh my god, Zodiac!!!”
“I know. I’m so excited.”
“Oh, and guess what. The cop guy was Da’s partner.”
“What? NO!”
“YES!”
Get a load of this.
Da is our late, great grandfather. And Da was quite easily one of the most glorious characters to ever grace this planet. I won’t even attempt to describe his greatness, as I could never do him justice, except to say that my Da wrote me A LETTER A DAY my entire 4 years of college. Da, however, was also a San Francisco cop AND during his career, he was partners with Dave Toschi.
Um, yeah. That’s Mark Ruffalo.
My dad just drops this info on me one night, saying, “Hey, you have got to go see this Dave Toschi movie?”
“Who’s Dave Toschi.”
“He was the cop assigned to the Zodiac case. And he was Da’s partner was before that.”
“SHUT UP. Did you ever meet him?”
“Are you kidding me? I’ve had dinner at his house! What are you talking about? Of course I knew him. He was Da’s partner.”
“And wait. Was Da still a cop during the Zodiac thing.”
“Oh yeah. He retired when you were born.”
That, FYI, was 1978. So just to recap, my Da was totally on the force when San Francisco was packed with serial killers. Um, what’s my main area of expertise?
Serial killers.
How I wish he were still alive to hook me up with the juice.
As my Da would say, “Run, don’t walk” to Zodiac and when Mark Ruffalo is standing around the police headquarters furrowing his brow and trying to catch Zodiac, check out the cops in the background and know that one of them is unwittingly playing my Da…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, DA! I remember Da! He took us out for Chinese food. And he rocked.

Reel Fanatic said...

I'm definitely with you on "Zodiac" .. it definitely didn't feel too long, especially since the final act, with Graysmith in search of the truth, was the best part

Anonymous said...

Hi, Added a new value add to my blog this weekend - a news widget from www.widgetmate.com. I always wanted to show latest news for my keywords in my sidebar. It was very easy with this widget. Just a small copy paste and it was done. Great indeed.