Thursday, January 11, 2007

indulge me...

Having been away for such a long time, I’d missed some serious television and last night, I spent the majority of my evening catching up. There are really only 3 current shows I refuse to miss.

The Office: The never-ending Jim and Pam saga is literally what wakes me up in the morning. (Well, not this morning. Thank you, Mikey.) I’ve written pages and pages of my undying love for Jim and this constant and subtle genius. So to see Pam finally break down and cry over Jim dating the GI’s daughter was overwhelming, a long overdue acknowledgement of Jim’s greatness. And Dwight’s sudden sweet gesturing made my eyes all misty. Well, I teared up until he handed his hankie to Pam and asked, “So, you must be PMSing really bad, huh?” I cannot wait to see what happens tonight!

Friday Night Lights: Seriously, you guys. This show is really good. They just switched their lineup from Tuesday to Wednesday nights, so we were greeted with an entire season’s recap and then the first scene of last night, as a way, I’m assuming, of introducing the greatness of Friday Night Lights to a new Wednesday audience, was to have the paraplegic, ex-football star try and have sex in his wheelchair. I was sitting there like, “I am totally watching wheelchair sex. Smart move, NBC.” Also, my favorite scene-stealer in this Texan Dawson’s Creek (but way, way better) is Landry, the hilarious sidekick tutor with the hardcore punk band and the one-liners. Also, I pretty much want to marry Coach Taylor (pronounced: Coash TAY-ler.)

Top Chef: I think the highlight of my entire life thus far was Marcel’s rap expressing his feelings about being the show’s villain. He actually took himself to his rooftop sanctuary and scribbled rhymes in his little Peter Pan notebook. Hey, I say speak with your foam, Marcel, not your hardcore beat boxing. But none the less, hilarious. Also, what’s wrong with Cliff’s neck?
Finally, the greatest aspect of Top Chef is the effort Bravo puts into to it’s website. We’ve got recap blogs from everyone, my favorite being Harold’s. Harold was my boyfriend contestant from last year and you know how I can pick a winner. So Harold gets his own blog and today’s snippet rocks for his ripping on the guest judge. Who knew soft spoken, v-neck t-shirt Harry had it in him? Me-Ow…

First, let’s talk about this judge. Mike Yakura. He was on the show last year. And before that I’d never heard anything else about him, other than being the head chef at Le Colonial in San Francisco. I have two problems with the guy.
Problem one: He speaks to everyone with a complete lack of respect. In the competition last year, he was cursing at Miguel. He doesn’t know us. What does he have invested in this competition that makes him think he can treat people the way he does? Out of respect for the judging system, it certainly kept me from speaking my voice about it when I was on the show. I can’t figure out why he’s such an elitist. Why he thinks he’s so much better than everyone else. And that leads me to problem two.
Problem two: That the guy serves dog food at his restaurant. What the viewers at home didn’t get to see last year, was that the day before he was going to judge the episode, we ordered $600 worth of take out from his restaurant and I would say that at least 65% of that food ended up in one of the Glad trash bags. It’s just a compilation of mediocre and generic Vietnamese dishes. And for this guy to speak to the contestants the way he does is appalling. I can’t figure it out. He’s delusional. And besides the fact that his food is less than marginal, the way he speaks to people is crazy. The guy is totally delusional.
And I’ll say this: I don’t like the guy and if he’s got something to say about it, I’d be more than happy to cook up against him any day of the week. But enough trash talk, let’s get to the show.

Talk about a bitchslap...

6 comments:

btob said...

I'm curious to know what you think about "Armed and Famous"...

Spots said...

Oh my god, I just looked it up. It's on at the same time as Friday Night Lights, so I can't watch it, but I'm concerned that this is legal. That being said, I'm glad Ponch has stepped it up from his 3am time share commercials...

Anonymous said...

I'm delighted to see you're taking an interest in football.
XOMOM

njudah said...

marcel's rap cemented his status as one of the whitest people in the world.

and Harold was right on about that judge. he sucked. and his haircut was lame.

Anonymous said...

You're telling me you're not into
"I Love New York ?" this is the best reality dating show since... ohhh probably when Joey Greco got stabbed.

I too can't miss The Office and the Earl lead in is perfect (NBC current Thursday nite line up is almost as good as the old days "must see TV") Anyway, they absulutely can't have Jim and Pam hook up, it will ruin the relationship of thise 2 charcters. Like when Dave and Maddie finally got together on Moonlighting, the lack of sexual tension... it ruined the show. Setting up Dwight to be a CIA agent was priceless.

T

Anonymous said...

Beth I love you!
I was practically standing on my couch jumping up and down with tears streaming down my face when Marcel mouth pooped his rap for me. It was so incredible I thought I might have hallucinated the whole thing. Thanks for letting me know it was real.
Melissa