Friday, March 17, 2006

mikey likes it...

I’m really into cooking right now. I’ve instructed Mikey to go through the cookbooks and fold down the recipes he wants to try. We share a love of the Food Channel and Top Chef and as long as he keeps bringing home random bottles of wine, I’ll keep cooking. Poor Mikey is my guinea pig, and as he claims to eat “anything,” I’ll shove a plate of African beef stew in front of him and wait for a reaction.
Last night, I made “You Won’t Be Single for Long” Vodka Cream Pasta. According to Rachel Ray and Oprah, if you feed this pasta to any man, he’ll fall madly in love with you. So before I make this pasta for some kind of romantic dinner date, I’m testing it out on Mike.
I wanted an honest reaction, so I didn’t tell Mikey the actual name of the dish. I simply made him play music and pour wine while I minced shallots and reduced cheap liquor.
“Okay, Sunshine. Go turn on the West Wing. We’re just about ready.”
I handed him a steaming bowl of pasta, complete with a smattering of flat leaf parsley and grilled rosemary bread, waiting for a reaction. Totally oblivious to the importance of his response, Mikey casually took a huge bite.
Silence.
All of a sudden, he looked over at me, mouth full. “God Bless You.”
Yes!
Tonight, as per Andy’s request, we’re having Turkey Meatloaf and Scalloped Potatoes, the standard pre-show menu for a transexual’s one woman show