Wednesday, February 01, 2006

blame it on the rain...

Am I the only one not really caring that James Frey embellished a little? Who doesn’t sprinkle a little fairy dust? To listen to Oprah, you’d think the world was ending. I can just see her, storming through her library, books flying from the shelves a la Ghostbusters.
What’s the big deal? I don’t get it.
Do we want to read a boring book? No.
Do we really care how long he was in jail? Not really.
Is John Travolta’s hair color real? Uh, I don’t think so. But you don’t see Oprah calling him a big liar, grilling him about his follicles, screaming about how duped she feels. We’ve all seen Oprah sans hair and make-up.
Who’s duping who, Winfrey?
And now the poor guy’s agent dumps him. God, I love my Oprah. But once she blacklists you, you’re dead to the world. She can probably get someone audited if she hated them enough. She has presidential pardon power. Oprah decides who we go to war with, just so she can do shows about it. She’s out of control and I predict a fabulously dicey fall from grace. I mean, you know she’s a big old lesbian, right?
James Frey is alright by me.
Although what do I know? I never saw what was so horrible about Milli Vanilli not singing those fabulous songs. My biggest problem with Rob and Fab had more to do with the blazers and bike shorts combo…

10 comments:

sfmike said...

Oprah a big old lesbian? Oh, come on, next you'll be saying George Clooney is gay.

And I didn't see what was so horrible about Milli Vanilli either, other than their act.

Anonymous said...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0104061jamesfrey1.html

i take personal offense to james frey's 'liberties' with his writing. embellishing is one thing, passing off fiction as reality is another. i think my story is much more troubling than his and i know people that have had more insane experiences than me. beth, if someone talked about how difficult it was to be a producer of a live play and it was later discovered that they haven't even produced a elementary school christmas carol, wouldn't you be offended? i certainly am, and i find it despicable.

Towski said...

Boy howdy, someone clearly doesn't understand the nature of this blog. It's important to check your righteous idignation at the door, Giggles.

Spots said...

This from someone who has no problem with fake boobs...

Sunset Boy said...

Fake boobs suck. And Oprah is annoying. Preach on Beth.
BEN

whats a blog? said...

Well, Spots. I'm pissed that he made that shit up, but I agree that Oprah's blowing it way out of proportion. It's like, yeah, you lied about a bunch of facts in your book but more importantly, you pissed off Oprah. Maybe he can get a job at Hermes?

amy said...

You look like Laci Peterson in your new MySpace photo.

berkeleyist said...

Beth, Laci Peterson was like 5'2". That should make you unreasonably happy.

Spots said...

Well, YOU took the picture. Thank you for making me look short and pregnant. Why not just put me in a Burgundy shantung maternity pantsuit, sit me in a recliner and make me look oblivious to my cheating husdand?

Anonymous said...

Can we get back to James Frey? I see no hole in his cheek. I want to see the hole in his cheek. And I don't blame Oprah. She made that guy gabillions by making him a book club selection. And how do you know she's a lesbian? Travolta dyes his hair? I need more!