Saturday, October 22, 2005

rps is my life...

You won’t believe this.

I went to Pleasanton today. (I know. I know. It gets even more unimaginable.) Amazingly enough, I was shocked to find the front page of The Valley Times featured an entire article my new favorite subject, where the reporter not only included the history of Ro Sham Bo, they announced that first annual “Rock, Paper, Scissors Tournament and Dance Party” would be hosted this very night by the Rotary in the Veteran’s Hall.
Have you ever heard of anything more wonderful? A Rock, Paper, Scissors Tournament and Dance Party!
First of all, let’s break this tournament down. Are there skill levels of competition? Am I willing to fork over $25 to enter, even if I get a free participant t-shirt? Would I be considered beginner or, as I consider myself, intermediate? After all, I don’t use terms like “cloaking.”
Oh, yeah. That’s right. The paper contained an RPS dictionary.

RPS? It took me a second, too.
Rock, Paper, Scissors.

And what about the “Dance Party” element of this event. Sitting at lunch in historic downtown Pleasanton, we looked out the window and immediately next to our table was a huge, glossy poster announcing this exciting event. Not only will “The Crisis” be jamming out tunes from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s all night, but booze is $2 and the food is free!
Does life get any better?
Uh, no. It doesn't.
Sadly, previous engagements kept us from actually attending, much less entering, but I envisioned winning the competition and being crowned Pleasanton’s RPS champion. They’d call me “The Golden Hand” and speak of how I’d swept the tournament with my last minute “shadow” of paper, forcing the disqualification of international RPS icon, China‘s Lester Ha.

Actually, there IS an icon, a guy who’s referred to as one of RPS’s “all time greats,” calls himself “Master Roshambollah” and expects this exciting "sport" to take off next year.

Next year? You’ve got to be kidding me. With the RPS buzz I’ve been independently creating with my blog, we’re talking any day now. I hear Bravo’s got a celebrity version in the works.
Needless to say, I had to have one of these posters. They were up everywhere, so it wasn’t hard to rip one from a window and peel away before the Rotarians discovered my theft. Us RPS folks live on the edge. And apparently, 800 of us attended the annual international tournament in Toronto.
I think it’s safe to say, it got pretty crazy in that Toronto Radisson.
I don’t doubt it was off the hook at tonight’s Veteran’s Hall tournament and dance party. But I don't think they'll get Toronto-level turnout. We swung by the hall. It’ll hold no more that 100 RPS aficionados. 120 max. None the less, sounds like the makings of a serious scene.

I never thought I’d say this, but I wish I was in Pleasanton right now…

You have to register, but it’s worth it. Scroll a little more than halfway down. I’m serious. You’ve got to read this: rps is my life

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beth, i love your writing. Excellent blog. You're so funny!!
xoxo
molly