Thursday, August 11, 2005

a little background...

Once upon a time, I went off to fashion school in Philadelphia. On my second day there, I met a girl named Jesse who rapidly became one of my closest friends. Her parents a mere hour away in Spring City, Jesse would often take me home with her for the weekend and over time, I was essentially adopted by her spectacularly wonderful family. Jesse’s parent’s, Robyn and Klaus, would look after me, sending me home with food and mittens, fixing my car, and storing my crap every summer. Jesse’s older sister Molly, herself in college not too far away at Lehigh, would invite us to huge fraternity parties, teaching us drinking games and letting us crash on her floor. Thanksgiving’s were spent at Aunt Bonnie’s in Scranton, with a myriad of hilarious cousins and grandparents whom I’ve come to love dearly.
One day, Jesse switched dorms and moved into a townhouse next door to a bunch of guys, one of whom was a looker named Shane from upstate New York. Overcoming his apparent shyness, Shane procured some tickets to a comedy show and invited Jesse. Jesse accepted under the condition that her two friends, Carrie and Beth, could chaperone. Pages fall off the calendar, Jesse and Shane fall in love and eventually get married. In the midst of all this Robyn and Klaus meet Dick and Joanne and discover that they’re fast friends. This one big happy family now makes pilgrimages back and forth, across the red states, for weddings and train rides and sailing trips. I call them my Pennsylvanian family, and Robyn enjoys confusing people by introducing me as her middle daughter.
In a much anticipated excursion, Robyn, Klaus, Jesse, Shane, Molly and her boyfriend Brodey are all here, and for the most part, my responsibility to entertain. Today we enjoyed breakfast at Atlas, hiked through Muir Woods, had al fresco lunch in Mill Valley, shopped fancy stores, visited Judy and her amazing house, drove down the crookedest street in the world, saw the Castro, the Mrs. Doubtfire house, and North Beach, and now shall hit the town. I am so fucking sick of tourist locals, I’m ready to kill myself…

2 comments:

laura said...

Take them to Hotel Biron on Gough and Market. Yuppy but cool.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work »