Tuesday, August 30, 2005

the biggest little city in the world...

Ugh, Burning Man. What’s the big deal? My former co-worker, BCFS, has spent hours trying to explain to me the grandeur and greatness of this communist extravaganza but I am simply not convinced. Not only is one stranded in the desert, miles away from a decent latte or a good episode of Laguna Beach, but you’re constantly bombarded with jam music and dreadlocks while you sit in the dirt and pretend to care about each other. I can find veterinary drugs and bathtub gin in the city, I don’t need to become a Bedouin to have a good time.
Apparently, at the end of this festival of filth, everyone gets hopped up on shady narcotics and busts a move in front of a bunch of bonfires, twirling around in their hemp skirts and crystal pouches. I think I’ll take a pass. This Labor Day weekend, I’ll be heading out to Nevada like all the Burning Man hippies. But Zoe and I are taking a right at Reno and spending the weekend wearing sequins and stilettos, playing blackjack and over-tipping strippers…

6 comments:

Christine said...

Beth,
Um hi, I'm flying into Reno Friday night - hello. I'll be at my house in Tahoe all weekend. Call your old friend and maybe we can meet up or do dinner and drinks :)

Spots said...

Shut up!!!!! I'll be on my cell, as always, and we're staying at Circus Circus.(I know, I know...)

metro said...

thank god someone tells it like it is about Burning Man... Thank You!!

laura said...

Amen! I particularly depise how everyone refers to it as "the playa". "Things are different on the playa." "I'll be spending next week on the playa." Dude, the playa is just a rave that doesn't sell water or lollipops.

laura said...

2 days without an update? I am unreasonably sad.

Spots said...

I know! I'm swamped at work. Why? Because I'll be spending a long weekend in Reno with Zoe and a bunch of firemen from Oregon. I'll write something tonight, and I promise hilarity over the weekend...