Wednesday, June 01, 2005

awesome responsibility...

I missed a call from Big Chris last night and I thus called him on my way to work this morning to find out what was up. Big Chris, it seems, is unable to actually leave a voicemail and as much as I remind him that a missed call does not a message make, he refuses.
It seems he had a spare ticket to some concert and after exhausting all of his options, decided to call me. While touched, I remarked that I was pissed I was last on his list. “Well, it’s not the kind of concert you take a girl to. And since my guy friends were all busy, I called you. I regard you as walking the line between chick and buddy.”
I wiped a tear from my eye as Chris put me on hold. I could hear him on another phone in his office, and then I heard him make an announcement over the inter-office loudspeaker. “Ladies and Gentlemen, the Roach Coach is here! I repeat, the Roach Coach is here.”
He then casually picked up his cell and resumed chatting with me, as if nothing wonderful had occurred.
“Oh my god, Chris. It’s your job to announce to your entire company that the Roach Coach has arrived? That’s beautiful.”
“Yeah, they won’t start working till the Roach Coach shows.”
What an awesome responsibility, though, to alert the workers that breakfast burritos are minutes away, decade old muffins sit right at the curbside and doughnuts already touched by thousands sit in pink boxes, ready to be man-handled again…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

good stuff. also to clarify and classify. I just said the roach coach
is here.. no ladies and gentlemen because we have no women
in the warehouse or in the office. let me also explain why I don't
take girls to concerts
1. they think its a date and insist on
talking to me when I want to hear the band
2. beth I hate to tell
you this but you are the exception, not the norm and most girls
are about 5'2 -5'4 so they can't see the band
3. going to a show
usually requires hours of standing 4. concert venues tend to
get packed, hot, smell like ass etc.
5. if I want to get crazy in
the pit I have to leave the girl alone
6. shows are good places
to meet girls

Spots said...

Chris likes lists:

1. I would definitely talk to you during the music.
2. I'm the exception and not the norm for a myriad of reasons.
3. I'm sure they have seats at the bar.
4. So do boys. We still hang out with you.
5. You've never gotten crazy in a pit in your life.
6. I've never been a cock block in my life.

Anonymous said...

just curious, what is the concert in question?

Spots said...

Bloc Party...

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it!
»

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! »