Thursday, December 30, 2004

ciao italia...

I am still amazed by technology. It seemed like Ted dropped us off at the SFO airport an hour ago. And here we are in Florence, in a huge apartment, literally ON one of the most popular plazas in town. It is insane, and for a bit, we were actually jumping up and down at our good fortune. It is also fucking freezing. But that is why God invented cashmere.
Our flight to Frankfurt was fine, the highlight of Mom's flight being the film, Anchorman. She loved it, and disturbed those around her with her loud laughter. She chose not to watch Around the World in 80 Days because she doesn't like, "that Charlie Chan." The coach seats were huge, though, so I won't go into a long diatribe about how much steerage sucks. Lufthansa ain't so bad. I sat next to an Indian man and his son, on their way to Bombay. In an attempt an an international gesture of kindness, I switched seats so they could have an aisle seat. I'm anticipating this karma coming back tenfold.
We spent 3 hours in Frankfurt and I have this to say...I challenge you to find me a funny German. They don't exist and any attempt at humor is met with cold stares and a request for my passport. Whatever. You know who's got funny people? Jews. Very telling.
Our flight from Frankfurt to Florence was on this little plane where the windows were below the wings, like we were on our way to Casablanca or something. The pilot, perhaps on his first flight EVER, crashed our tiny old Lufthansa into Aeroport de Frienze and badda bing, here we are.
My suitcase is trashed, I didn't bring enough warm clothes, and I could use a manicure. But otherwise, I'm thrilled to be here and now plan to go eat. In a fabulous stoke of luck, a cheap internet cafe is half a block away. It looks like this blog thing may indeed work.
Safe and sound, the Spotswood are back in the old country.
Bring on the Chianti...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But Beth, it's not our fault for being unfunny Germans, it's part of our heritage. Literally, there is no word meaning "humor" in the German language. How are we supposed to overcome that?

Did you hear the one about the chicken who tried to cross the road....