Tuesday, August 31, 2004

sha la la laaaa...

Mercedes and I went to dinner at THE greatest Greek restaurant in town the other night. It's called Mykanos, it's on Polk at California, it's incredibly inexpensive, and the food is amazing. We go there a lot. You should too. Anyway, I found myself discussing Michael J. Fox at length. After watching a mid-day marathon of "Family Ties" on TV Land, I have a renewed devotion to MJF and I've got to talk about it.
I've always maintained that Family Ties is my favorite show of all time. It defines my childhood and represents all that is good and right with the world. Mallory Keaton (along with Denise Huxtable) is, to this day, my style icon. Every life lesson I've learned, I saw on a very special episode of Family Ties. This show is awesome.
So, it was no big deal when I decided to sit down and devote a couple of hours to the greatest show in history. I found myself laughing out loud, really getting into it. That Michael J. Fox can really deliver a line. He's amazing. I started to realize, it's not the writing that's so genius. It's him. In one episode, centered around Mallory and Skippy, the side story is that Alex grows a moustache. Literally, I laughed so hard, I had to wipe away tears. The fact that Nick was wearing a lavender fanny pack may have added to my amusement as well. None the less, that MJF took a retarded sub-story line and made it brilliant.
Sure, there's some over-acting. Granted, Jennifer had a face for radio. But, my god, Family Ties is beautiful. Never in my life have I seen so many elbow patches and v-neck sweaters. In my recent need to constantly discuss this phenomenon, I was asked what my favorite episode of all time is. Easy. The one where Alex gets addicted to speed. Hands down.
If you're home with nothing to do, as I often am, do yourself a favor and take a gander at some vintage Family Ties episodes. I think you'll be pleasantly enthralled. Or just go to Mykanos. It's almost as emotionally fulfilling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not one to read celebrity bio's (except for Henry Winkler) but Michael J Fox's "Lucky Man" is quite good.

Marcus