Monday, August 09, 2004

faux heaven...

Today, in addition to experiencing Chinese culture and shit, I bought 2 Tiffany bracelets, 1 Tiffany necklace, 2 North Face backpacks, Channel and Ray Ban sunglasses, and a Cartier watch, all for about $60, US. Although, it nearly came to fistacuffs several times. These people didn't know who they were dealing with. I'm no yokle tourist. I've haggled all over the world, I can haggle here. "Hey pretty lady. You want Burberry? You like Channel? Vuitton? Yes, you like. You name me good price." They grab arms and pull on bags. It's intense. Then, they pull out a calculator and type in a price. Next, I grab the calculator and cut the price in half. This continues until I pretend to walk away, and suddenly, everything's practically free. They catch on quick, listening to us talk, and then yelling, "Hey Alex. You like North Face? Alex? Alex, you want Tag Hauer? You like Gucci?" Incredible. This exists in every major city here, and apparently, they crack down at the airports. Fools. I'm shipping it all back. This is glorious.
Long Live China!
Tonight, it's acrobats. Maybe, they'll pull Alex onstage. For now, Alex is getting some aromatherapy massage and I'm about to go read my scary books. Maybe, I'll have some tea sent up. Whenever you run into any staff here, it's "Good day, madam." "It is my pleasure, madam." Make eye contact and it's, "What can I get you, madam?" Nothing. I'm in the elevator.
I hope I'm not being racist, as these people are Chinese, not Japanese, but I find myself bowing a lot. Ah well. Me foreign tourist. No know culture in China. Me learn to say words.
Actually, all I ever say is shei shei, which is Thank You. And then, I bow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

beth - what you are feeling, fatigue, jet lag,
food poisoning accompanied by fire ass is actually
the early stages of SARS. don't worry I'm sure
all your pals will visit you in quarantine.

Anonymous said...

"Faux heaven" means "faux designer knockoffs", yes? T.P.

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it!
»

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... »

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info http://www.wheelchairs-9.info http://www.stop-smoking-cigarette.info/Black-jack-window-game.html Zoloft law cases vegas black jack gambling Blackjack counting Plentiful freezer Tooth whitening color chart Effects of wellbutrin sr buy zithromax Black switchcraft jack Fort erie slots Free lottery calculating software free online black jack